anybody know? Superior doing more regional type work?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by yankatank, Oct 29, 2018.

1. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    lately, I've been getting alot of shorter runs(around the 500 mile area, system-wise). And have heard from some drivers that have been here for years that Superior is now doing more 'regional' than ever before, due to losing alot of drivers. Can anyone confirm this? I've been dying to go out west, but seems all that freight has been 'shifted' from the east coast to more around the midwest/texas area, or told by a 'dispatcher'. Just wondering if Superior is now more a 'regional' carrier now than 'all 48/including CN' like before.

Orange713 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilj

Lilj Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I know the shorter loads pay better, we have some Pasadena drivers out on the west coast right now, so you can go west, just have to get to the right terminal

yankatank Thanks this.
  4. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes, a lot of our core customers are regional, and with fewer drivers there's less opportunity to pick up that extra spot freight that might be longer runs. With that said, if you ever make it up to Maine there's a weekly outbound that goes to Phoenix and from there you can go to Parker and work west coast for a bit.

yankatank Thanks this.
  5. Orange713

Orange713 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    Where did the drivers go

yankatank Thanks this.
  6. yankatank

Feb 14, 2018
    I know of 3 that left this year. One just got her 1 year experience bought her own truck and trailer(dry) and went the total O/O route. Another 'claimed' to never be home, and met a girl, went with a flatbed company, home every weekend. And one, well, nice guy and all, but he really did listen too much to other drivers complain(they all do at ANY company) and decided to leave. Although he wanted to go out for a month and take a week or so off, that's not how it works, company driver-wise. As the other guy said about percentage, I'm sure that's true for O/O, not for company, though. Sure, layover pay is great, since our raise started this week, but sitting around is getting boring! haha

7. yankatank

Feb 14, 2018
    been to Maine one time, when I first started driving. One thing I love about here is, I don't see much of the NE. And with that being said, that makes me happy! I just can't stand it up there! Although I'm going to CT now. haha Haven't been there in about 3 months.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  8. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    My terminal has lost 6-7 since this time last year. A few quit to work locally and a few moved out of state. On top of that we are going to start having people retire starting next year. Last year I was able to get some good paying spot frieght out of here, but this year its been only our core customers and we always have a home date when doing system. It's been a challenge just to cover our dedicated at times when people take vacations or trucks break down. I've been trying to do the same dedicated twice a week since nobody else likes doing it and it pays decent

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  9. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Was told that we are going to transfer to more of dedicated type work as well. By a dispatcher.

I do system loads and I haven't been able to stay out. Seems like we're real slow right now.

Hope this isn't a preview of things to come because it's not looking very good right now. Especially for the guys that like to do system.

A raise doesn't do much good when you don't have any work.

Termite20 and yankatank Thank this.
  10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I'm working on relocating to Mobile, AL and interested in Superior Carrier out of Creola, AL nearby. If they take me on and train me for tanker, is there still steady work? Is the issue just a shortage of people which might work in my favor trying to get hired on?

11. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Creloa is one of the terminals thats always busy. You'll do well getting on there.

yankatank and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.