Anybody use quick books for small business

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by earthmover, Apr 28, 2018.

1. earthmover

earthmover Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    castalia , north carolina
    It looks like a very helpful tool..the plus is what I'm looking at cause I have sub contractors and 1099..
    Any advice good or bad thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    We use it for invoicing only, for 20 yrs now.

4. UnixNerd

UnixNerd Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2018
    They have a cloud solution that's been out for a few years now. If you decide to go that direction be sure to keep backups of everything. Don't trust the cloud to be reliable or USB sticks for backups. The best way for small office/home office to do backups is to burn a cd (in addition to whatever other method used). Before making a final decision, try out several packages and see which one works best for you. Quickbooks, Quicken, GNU Cash, and the various freight specific software packages each have their pros and cons. You just need to find what fits best for you that has an easy (or easy to learn) way to back up your data.

5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I use QuickBooks/quicken.
    My current version is. 2015.
    I won't update or upgrade or use the cloud. This accounting computer doesn't connect to the internet.
    My last computer in 2015 got a virus or malware. Something????.
    Had to input all data in a week to get my taxes done.

6. Nopencilpushing

Nopencilpushing Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2018
    I use quickbooks online self employed version. Works great once u get it set up to your way of liking. I set up a lot of sub accounts to the expense accounts. Import my bank info and now only use debit and credit cards. No cash. Do a 30 day trial but don't figure on keeping what u inputted in the free trial. Play around and see what u like. Do some of the free on-line training stuff. Put as much time into this 30 days as u can. If u like it purchase a subscription and spent a weekend setting it up and inputting what u have.
    Whatever u decide get something that works for u and lets u see without dought how your business is doing. Don't go for something that just piles everything together. I have mine setup so I see day by day week by week trip by trip revenue and expenses all nicely separated and easy to understand.
    Take care of your money like u take care of your truck... or it will all fall apart.
    Good luck

KB3MMX and redoctober83 Thank this.
  7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    We use Quickbook for Mac, and we've been having some real data integrity issues. This may be because we share(d) a cloud file between two computers. We ended up with conflicted copies on a regular basis. So don't do that. We now keep the master file on a USB stick, and backups on two separate computer hard drives. That works better. Or spend the money for the networked version. But that takes $$$

Quickbooks itself is far more powerful than a small, couple of people, business needs. Invoicing, quotes, depreciation, financial reporting. It's all in there. Pretty intuitive to use (if you can write a check, you can put your stuff in Quickbooks.

8. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I use the quick books self employed app on my iPad. It has TurboTax built in and figures quarterly and yearly and files them online. It has a 30 day free trial so you can play with it. Looks simple, but is feature rich

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't use close based services for a lot of reasons, one is data can get corrupted the other is I have no control over security.

I had a security system installed at my office in indiana which is on the same property as the management company I employ. My buddy who does my internet stuff showed how easy it can be hacked and demonstrated by actually sending me screen shots of my finance people working, I yanked that system out and installed a custom system which doesn't use the cloud.

NightWind Thanks this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I tried their cloud version and I loved the program but the cloud was entirely too slow so I had to discontinue it's usage.

11. TRKFreighter

TRKFreighter Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    Quickbooks have proven to be an excellent finance management program for owner operators and small trucking companies. Before you proceed with a purchase, know the difference between the various Quickbooks programs such as desktop and online versions. Quickbooks Online is the recommended version.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.