Anybody who works for SWTO/Speedway - What's it like?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by EurekaSevven, Nov 21, 2023.

1. EurekaSevven

EurekaSevven Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2022
    Just wondering if anybody on here works for them right now at the moment.

Right now I still drive OTR for my 2nd year of experience, but I've been wanting to get on them ever since I had my CDL permit. I'm just wondering how the company is. Pay, benefits, general office culture, yadda yadda. Recently at my local speedway me and my mom filled up at I talked to one of their other drivers a little bit and he said that due to new management, they're kinda in a transition right now and a lot of the older drivers are leaving. It made me wonder if that was due to a bigger problem in the company or just them being unreasonable.

I know another driver there and got his number and I could've asked him first, but wanted to ask here first for (hopefully) more varied opinions, and whether or not I should pull the trigger on them when my time comes or look elsewhere. Part of the reason I like them is their terminal is pretty close to where I live and I wouldn't have to go into Charlotte (I live in Western NC).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Your absolute best move here...is to to talk with 2 or more drivers at your desired terminal.

Terminals are a lot like "kingdoms"...each will have it own little protocols, etc. Some are great to work at, others are ok, and still others...a nightmare.

As a fuel hauler -- I have no previous experience with Speedway -- but I can give you some clues on what to later expect.

Whether you later get a job with them, or another fuel fleet -- shifts are usually seniority-based.

That means....it's likely you will start out running nights, weekends, & holidays.

Since you're rather young -- you have the time to be patient, & work your way up to a better shift schedule.

If you still think you'd like to haul fuel -- if you don't already have a TWIC card, go ahead....& apply for one. Many fleets like for you to have one; it helped me get my fuel-hauling job.

Worst case scenario: you are finally hired on at the nearby Speedway -- but you find that you just don't like it there.

THE PAYOFF: 2 years of Speedway fuel-hauling experience (with a good safety record) will later open A LOT OF OTHER DOORS for you -- either with another fuel fleet....or elsewhere. :thumbup:

-- L

RockinChair and EurekaSevven Thank this.
  4. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I second everything @lual just said, and add the following: you could do a lot worse than a private fleet that gets you home every day, especially if they pay by the hour.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.