Anybody Work for Schneider LTL?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Surfer Joe, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Ya know guys, my main point of this entire thread wasn't to specifically elaborate about the Schneider LTL position.
    Rather, I am just another tortured soul reaching out to the rest of my... Brothers in Arms?... about what is going on with yet another big corporate takeover that has become such a dominating force in this country.
    The established, 'old school' (and largely union) companies cannot compete with a huge, and corporate controlled megalithic company such as Schneider if Schneider sets it's sights on the LTL industry.

Example: OTR used to be a pretty good gig back in the day, then 'they' busted up the unions, employee pay dropped, and 'they' got to keep all the suddenly increased profits for themselves. It's really a very simple strategy; no employee pensions, low employee salary, and a workload with conditions that are based solely... solely...solely... on profits dramatically increase... profits.

Look around; this same scenario has already gobbled up nearly everything around us; Big corporate control, no competition, and a government that is nearly completely on their payroll all mean pretty poor prospects for opportunity for all of us little people.
    Pay whatever price they demand and get paid whatever salary they demand.

If Schneider gets its' foot in the door, (and it will) then there is no way that ABF, YRC, and most other LTL carriers are going to be able to compete... unless there is some serious 're-structuring' in regards to employee compensation.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Schneider would need DRASTICALLY different facilities to compete in LTL. Docks, for starters. Schneider just isn't built for large scale LTL currently.

But yes, they did help destroy truckload. They're all terrible people. But it warms my black little heart that truckload is no longer profitable because the megas are all trying to outdo each other in keeping shipping rates depressed. Truckload will never again be truly profitable, the way the megas play the game.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    its furniture.

SNI is in no way set up for ACTUAL ltl. Nor will they ever be.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    The only way Schneider could become a real LTL carrier is if they bought one. They don't have the equipment nor the network of terminals to do it. Not to mention the customers.

Apparently, aquiring Watkins Shepard was a way to get some accounts. And those are garbage freight accounts that real LTL freight carriers would rather not deal with if possible (carpet and furniture). I'm not worried about them putting my company out of business. They don't know how to do what we do.

6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    snd the concept of 98 - 99% on time delivery is a foriegn theory to them.

MACK E-6 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Toyota forklifts would match their paint scheme. Something to consider.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Most freight lines expand by buying out other companies.

gentleroger and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  9. Driver91

Driver91 Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    As far as docks go, most of watkins Shepard’s terminals are nothing more than a warehouse with docks. So they have all they need there. Plus they are opening home delivery terminals all over to take care of the final mile. Know they just opened one in MO somewhere around St Louis and there is also one in Memphis. Just for final mile.
    There is a lot of money in furniture final mile. And I mean a lot. It pays very well.
    Watkins Shepard was purchased because Schneider wanted the final mile company Lodeso. Which was owned by Watkins Shepard. All they wanted was final mile. This has nothing to do with them wanting to take over LtL companies like ABF, Conway, old dominion, etc.

10. roscold90

roscold90 Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2017

Amd I find it crazy that I seen schneider hauling a set of ups doubles

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve seen that before, but not in quite a few years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.