ANYBODY?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by billythekid, Oct 16, 2007.

1. billythekid

billythekid Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
    I Was Wondering If Anybody Has Put In There Time With Swift And Things Got Easier "or Better"? Lets Say 1 To 2 Years. Just Curious About If They Eventually Look At You As A Employee After They Seen That Your There To Stay And That Your A Team Player With No Expectations Of Things Going Right All The Time, Or If Your Always A Number And No Matter What Kind Of Crap You Put Up With, Thats All You'll Be And Loyalty Means Nothing. I've Read On Here That Some People Can Be Crybaby's When Things Are Tough During There First 6 Months And They Complain The First Time Something Is'nt Paved With Gold, And I've Also Read On Here That People Have Said Swift Is A Good Company And That Every Company Has There Problems, Especially For One The Size Of Swift. I'm Not Asking About The Black And White Of It All, But The Gray. Hypothetically, Lets Say That I've Driven For Them For 2 Years And For The Most Part, I've Sat In Yards Waiting For Loads And They Where Few And Far In Between With Low Miles, And That I Never Got My Hometime When I Requested It, And That They Nickled And Dimed Me The Whole Time Too. Would This Eventually Change? And Please Dont Say Something Like "why Would You Drive For A Company That Would Do That To You In The First Place". Because That Would Not Answer My Question.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    There are a whole lot more posts saying that Swift is the worst of the worst. Only you can decide what to do with your life. They may be the right fit for you. From majority of posts here they scrimp on training, maintenance, and driver relations. And the pay is not to hot either. Most seem to go there just to get their foot in the door and them haul ### to greener pastures. Good luck whatever you decide.:biggrin_25521:

4. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    DISPATCHER, DISPATCHER DISPATCHER!!!!!!!! A GOOD DISPATCHER AND AND YOUR REPERTOIR (sp) ARE PARAMOUNT IN THAT EQUATION.
    YOU CAN WORK FOR THE BEST CO IN THE USA AND STILL HAVE AN ##### FOR A DISPATCHER. BUT IT SOUNDS TO ME YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE TO DO WELL WITH A DECENT DISPATCHER (NOT EXPECTING EVERY LOAD TO BE GRAVY)

5. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Oops! I thought you were calling me PAT!:biggrin_25523:

6. rwings

rwings <strong>"Jet Force"</strong>

Sep 7, 2006
    Portales, NM
    Pat is right the dispatcher will make or break you, you could try requesting a new dispatcher. However most people that start with a training company like swift, Werner, etc., usually switch to a more respectable company after 1 or 2 years. If you have a good driving record you should consider moving on. I haven’t talked to too many happy swift drivers, especially regarding home time.
    :biggrin_25519:

7. billythekid

billythekid Bobtail Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Detroit, Michigan
  8. SCUBA_Guy

SCUBA_Guy Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Richland, WA
    Get your time in. Don't expect anything to change for the better. The only positive thing about it is that you'll be qualified to get with a respectable company after one or two years. Use them as much as you can, but work your rear end off! Best way to get the experience. You will be treated like crap, you will have a hard time getting home on time, but you will get there. Nobody will take responsibility for much of anything, especially if they can blame you for it. Other than that, you'll have fun. ;-)

9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Does it get better? Well yeah, eventually.
    The problem is that Swift has gotten so large they forget there is a human being attached to the truck. Today I worked for 3 hrs (after 10 off) and was told to get 10 hrs rest for a 7 hr run. They forget a driver can't just turn on and off like a truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.