Anyone care to discuss their opinions of new idle and jake brake policy?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by WRIGHTRACING, Jan 7, 2012.

1. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I didn't butt in. I guess you haven't noticed this is a public forum.

I wasn't with USX when the turbo went out. Why are you talking about things you don't know about? (Just kidding there but see what I mean?)

Now let's see. I got off home time where the truck sat for four days. I drove up to Ellenwood and then had to sit for two days waiting on a pm. Got the truck back and it would not idle. At the time I was told it was "updated". My co-driver used the bunk heater, ignored the low bat warning, and killed the battery. Took another day of waiting to get a jump from service. Should I have quit?

So the battery kept dying pretty quickly while I was waiting for a load. You know why? Because the truck had been sitting so long it never really got a good charge. Now that I've been across the country a few times it's fine now. Just like highwayman, mine would start beeping after the door was open a couple minutes. Now I can run my cooler, laptop and TV for hours with no problems. The thing is I knew it would be OK once I got on the road.

So now you know why I'm not so impressed.

All I said was he wasn't pushed out. Get over it.

OK, who's next?:biggrin_25520:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WRIGHTRACING

WRIGHTRACING Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    What about mine...drive it all over, low voltage warning goes off within 10 minutes?

4. vinsanity

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Could be a couple different things. Take it to a shop.

5. WRIGHTRACING

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    I know it could be, but just funny it didn't start until the update, and then it is doing the same as others...

6. vinsanity

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Are you in a Cascadia? Like I said, mine did that at first but now it's fine. I attributed it to the truck sitting but it could be that the computer needs to cycle or something. I'm in a new Cascadia.

7. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI

Not being able to idle, is not the issue....

The issue my friend is how to stay warm, when it is cold... Cool when it is hot and keep our batteries charged... It is a few issues and Idleing does help all 3 but, how can we achieve our goals without Idleing,,,,that is the issue....

8. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI

Your right, no one inside the company as far as management would talk to you but, you still have a voice on here and any good idea is warrented.

9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Tell that to california, they will laugh while issuing you a ticket. :biggrin_2559:

10. WRIGHTRACING

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    CA was the one that started the law...The truck i drive has a sticker that says, Certified Clean Idle

[​IMG]

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/23/want-to-idle-your-big-truck-in-california-youll-need-a-sticker/

rachi Thanks this.
  11. vinsanity

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the staying warm part down. I use a sleeping bag that is good to 40 below. I sweat in that thing when it's 6 degrees outside...LOL

Staying cool is a whole other matter. That's tough even with the windows down and some fans going.

BTW, my truck idles only below 24, not 28. I just noticed people were saying 28.

Now when my battery gets low I just keep pushing in the clutch to keep it from shutting off. Did the same thing at the last company I worked for when my Opti-idle quit working. Didn't bother getting it fixed because we didn't want to sit at a shop. Also had to do that to keep warm.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.