Anyone driving out of Indianapolis, with info ?

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by dennisroc, Jun 17, 2019.

1. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I hear good things about OD and will be back in the states in December and wanting to get a job as a driver.

I will retire in December and will be 66 but still wanting to drive a truck.

Can someone give me info on a few things ?

Should I get my CDL before I apply there or do they work with people there in getting them trained and getting a CDL ?

I would be interested mostly in Line Haul and being home daily, is this a possibility?

Do they have dedicated solo routes where you are out and back same day ?

Can someone share routes out of Indy and pay ?

I will be back home in Indiana mid December and ready for a job. Should I apply now or wait until later ?

Looking for any info and videos.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    @Chinatown

Chinatown and Puppage Thank this.
  4. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Been talking with Chinatown, great info but looking for someone working there now to get all the scoop.

5. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
  6. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    OD has their own driving school but it is a dock to driver program and I'm not sure how long you have to be there prior or requirements to go through that. Dock work is pretty demanding physically and the hours can be rough on some people. That being said, you usually need 1 year driving experience to work for OD. Indy is a crazy terminal. It is a major hub with lots of relays coming in and line haul running around the clock kind of thing. Never seen a team truck there so I'd imagine it is all solo runs. Other than that, they are the best company I've ever worked for, hands down.

Mike2633 and KillingTime Thank this.
  7. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Thanks for the reply, I am 65 and will be 66 in December when I retire. I can handle driving a truck , fork truck and maybe a pallet jack but not really into real heavy lifting.
    I have worked on airplanes for the last 24 years and wanting to do more driving than lifting haha
    I may just get my CDL on my own but hate to do that and the only jobs I can get would be our.
    I want to be home a lot. Been in Korea 14 years and want to settle down.

8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I don't know that trucking, even local / line haul is conducive to settling down. You got 14hrs to do a job.... Most companies are going to work you near 14. Then when you get comfortable, and can do the job in 11, they'll re-bid and your route changes.... Not wanting to sound judgmental, but I don't think this is as easy as you appear to think it's going to be....

*Disclaimer: Never done line haul. I'm a local tanker'er.

Mike2633, Lonesome and dennisroc Thank this.
  9. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Every terminal is different. I've ran for two different terminals now, the runs can be short or they can be longer. Shortest turn I've done is 120 miles one way. My barns shortest is 191 miles one way and longest is 240 miles. We rarely run to Indy which is 300 miles for us. In a 65 truck, takes 5 hours in perfect conditions one way. Indy comes to us in a turned up truck running 70, or we relay our trailers down to them through another hub.

We are not like UPS and work you to death. Wild board will run where ever or the lower paying runs because the guys with tenure tend to bid on the money runs. Honestly, line haul in LTL is probably the best home daily driving job you can have (with the right company). I bleed OD. Absolutely love the two barns I've ran for, loved my TMs and everything else. I'm proud to wear my uniform.

To be honest though, you're best bet is to pay for your cdl. You also unfortunately have age working against you where a lot of local companies are thinking long term employment, and you're asking for a home daily job right out of the gate. You need a starter company. Probably going to suck and be low pay.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  10. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I work at the Indy terminal. If you're planning to apply, have your CDL with the required endorsements. Hazmat, tanker, doubles/triples. They prefer experience, but I know at least one driver that was hired out of CDL school.

The Indy barn is a 24/7 operation. Linehaul drivers, including extra board are home daily. A new linehaul driver should expect to start on the night extra board. Lots of miles, lots of 14 hour days. When freight is slow you might sit at home for a day each week, occasionally two.

Expect to be on the extra board for about 4 years before getting a schedule you might want. There will be Chicago bids available to new drivers, but no one wants those. Low miles and city work on the front end. Better to stay on the extra board.

Runs go to all four corners of the map. Lots of east-west freight, lots of freight headed south. Not quite as much freight headed north, but some of those are the big money bids. Most of those drivers remember when trucks still had chain drives and wooden wheels.

With current freight levels, I doubt that indy is hiring drivers at the moment. That can always change quickly though. If you choose to apply, make sure you have all your info ready. 10 year work history, employment dates, employer contact numbers.

Best of luck to you. OD is the best employer I've worked for, definitely the best in this industry.

DayliteDean, Lonesome and dennisroc Thank this.
  11. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I don't mind working and realize it is more than just driving. I have always wanted to drive a truck but hey it might not be right for me or maybe I will love it , who knows ???

KillingTime Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.