Anyone earn their private pilot certificate while running OTR?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Sep 9, 2020.

1. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    ikr. theres not much profit

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Correct.
    Being a pilot is referred to as a perishable skill. I have known numerous transport, commercial, and private pilots. All of them would say staying current is one of the most important criteria. Something like 10-15 hours month for a private pilot. That's $1500-$2000 month rental wet. Plus CFI time if needed.

tscottme and mjd4277 Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Very true. It's worse for an ATP or a Commercial pilot.
    If you're type rated in anything heavy, like some of the old freighters or the fire tankers, it's almost impossible to stay current unless you're already working there.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I've had every FS since FS95 and this one is plagued with problems. Reports are the download is like 300GB just to get the game to start and then halfway through it corrupts and restarts. GPS doesn't work right, ####pit switches are inop, etc. Someone said that unless you own the absolute mack-daddy gaming machine your FS will NOT look anything like what you see in the promo videos. They say you have to tone it back so much that it looks like FSX.

I'd wait because lots of negative reviews have stopped me from buying it for the first time in 25 years.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    What if I only want to learn how to take off?

Asking for some friends

7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    So I'm 39 years old, got my CDL the day I turned 18. Was driving before that to learn. Didn't go to CDL school or anything. I've pulled hopper, tank, step deck with plenty of oversize, belly dump, livestock and now own my own feed trailer. I rebuilt my own engine, removed and replaced my transmission and rear ends. Likely nothing I haven't touched on this truck. Spend most weekends fixing or washing truck and trailer. I deal with mud and snow and places a truck shouldn't be. I can throw chains and get myself out of some crappy situations. Ive done 900+ mile days. But I've never driven more than 500 miles from home and haven't had to sleep in the truck for 3 years. So what the heck am I?

Brettj3876 and T.Rucker Thank this.
  8. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You're a truck driver. Ignore the Bozo who thinks you're not.

tscottme, T.Rucker and lester Thank this.
  9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Agreed. I took a couple “Be A Pilot” introductory flight lessons years ago (1st time I ever flew in a reciprocating piston aircraft-a Cessna 172 Skyhawk-one of the new build models with the Garmin avionics suite). I wanted to continue but unfortunately it wasn’t in the budget to get a PPL and then continue on to get a ATP rating. And back then the costs of training (tuition,classroom,materials,flight training,simulators,etc.) was in excess of $60-$80K!!
    I still think about it though even though I enjoy truck driving. Plus,from the way the airlines were changing a bunch of stuff I’m thinking it’s more feasible to fly myself. Why spend hundreds of dollars flying on one of American or United’s 737s from Boston Logan to Chicago O’Hare when I could possibly fly a Pilatus PC-12 or Mitsubishi MU-2 directly from Fitchburg to DuPage Airport(a lot closer to my relatives in Illinois).;)

10. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I got my private pilot license for $1500 when I was going through the fleet replacement squadron up in Whidbey Island. A wet hour was $25. I think I just dated myself again.

In Washington state west of the mountains, it could go from clear skies to 500’ ceiling in a matter of minutes. I was so anxious to do my first solo flight that I went out during iffy conditions. My instructor had just landed as I was walking to the plane. He said, eh, be careful.

I flew out under blue skies, but on the way back in, the clouds moved in and got thicker and thicker, lower and lower. I was struggling to maintain VFR, and I got “temporarily disoriented.” I had no idea where I was or where the airport was. I thought I was going to die that day on the side of a mountain.

Suddenly, the radio crackled, “Piper Cherokee five niner four zero uniform, you want us to turn on the airport beacon for you?” “Yes, please,” I replied in as calm a voice I could choke out of my tight throat.

Immediately I saw the airport at my right 3 o’clock about three miles away. I turned sharply to the right, conscious of not doing an approach turn stall, lined up, cross-controlled to a decent crosswind touchdown.

I swear I kissed the ground when I landed. I did a lot of scary things that made me suck the ejection seat cushion up my arse when I was flying in the USMC, but I never was as scared as I was that day.

I passed the FAA flight exam, although my landings were like WWII carrier landings. The evaluator was a WWII vet who flew everything from Wildcats to Phantoms. The wrinkled little man who hardly said a word during the flight, except for the instructions he gave me, was a very intimidating figure.

So, I crapped my pants twice in one week. :p

Never piloted an aircraft after than. No time. But got that bucket-list item checked off.

11. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

I don't know how people can afford learning to fly these days. I don't do a lot of instructing any more, mostly biennial flight reviews, but when I do I try to tailor my costs to the situation. As in, a doctor or a lawyer will probably pay more than some kid that's washing airplanes in exchange for flight school. And yes, they still do that.
    I was lucky. My family had crop dusters, fire-bombers, and flew freight so my lessons didn't cost me much. I usually had to pay for the gas. That wasn't much cost in a J-3 but a Beech 18 flattened my wallet pretty good.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.