Anyone ever think of opening their own truck stop?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Infosaur, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Jmurman

Jmurman Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Baltimore MD
    Ive thought about it and think I could make a dang good place.

First of all Id have a couple guys at the fuel pumps all the time. They would hand out plastic garbage bags to each and every truck that came in, would offer to wash windows and help fuel. Just like the old days of the gas station attendant.

Next Id have a shuttle service to the local Wal Mart, Target and if need be health clinics.

Id also do everything I could to have an area for guys to take a 34 restart without being in the mix of transient overnight trucks.

Finally Id have a restaurant that served darn great food...think Triple T outside Tucson AZ...if you've eaten there you;ll know what I mean.

My overall concern would be to provide a place for fast fueling and good food, friendly service...and not being a ripoff joint.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I seriously don't see the problem, other than the obvious, money...
    I drove from Denver to Bakersfield in the last few days and I am shocked at how many truck stops are on I-40?? Exactly, hardly any at all. Out west I am sure the problem is supplies but hell, buy a couple trucks and get your own supplies. I have seen a bunch of old mom n pop truck stops from days gone bye that are in great locations,,,we just need to impliment some NEW ideas and catar to todays driver. Food is definetly a big thing that needs changed.

SheepDog

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I wonder if anyone would pay more for that kind of service? Heck if you could work some of it into the fuel price, since the companies pay the fuel, I bet they'd never notice.

I've got to wonder where Pilot keeps all their people though. They are ALWAYS under manned. It seems like the guy washing the showers is the same guy cleaning the lot and running trash. They seem to be over staffed in the fast food place, where there are 5 people there but only 1-2 actually helping customers. And there are never enough cashiers. Is Pilot really running on such thin margins that they can't hire 1-2 people more per store? Maybe they shouldn't have spent the money aquiring Flying J if they're cutting so close.

5. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    That's funny right there...:laughing-guffaw:

6. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    I hate to rain on your parade, but how about a dose of reality. Company fuel discounts determine where the bulk of fuel is purchased and therefore where the majority of trucks will park and spend their dollars. I am fairly certain any T/S would have a hard time making a go of it without fleet trucks. We only have 35 company trucks but they have to fuel at Pilot/Flying J for the discount we get...no Mom & Pops allowed. I am sure this is why you see so few independent T/S anymore.

7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I would not want the mega's there anyhow. As for the fuel discounts, I see trucks fueling at the "mom & pop" stops all the time. So you only fuel 100 trucks a day instead of 10000, who cares? It is not as hard to do this as people think with maybe the exception of the ninnie states. The old mom and pops just did not change with the times.

You think mom and pops are just about gone???? You would be wrong. AmBest is not a chain, they are a conglomerate of independent truck stops that have joined together to combine their purchasing power.

Joetro Thanks this.
  8. orangepicker

orangepicker Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2011
    florida
    well the t/a is gonna close their restaurants and lease them to applebee's

9. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or

Well if it's going to be a pipe dream let's not forget to add these features......

drive thru where a driver can just drive up tell the clerk what he she wants, open door and a porta potty only a foot away driver can grab all he needs do their business and fly on down the road.

Build it in nevada and one could have a legal brothel right on property,

4 wheelers and rv's not allowed must show cdl in order to get any services from any business on site.

10. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    What I would love is a self service cat scale printer

Fire-Man Thanks this.
  11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    How about a small axle scale with a display? Who needs the paper? Might be some addition issues though... LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.