Anyone experienced front tire wear like this? Pictures attached.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Puje

Puje Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Chicago IL
    36E9702F-F573-43E3-8BED-151179AE8E79.jpeg Don’t toy with steer tires

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I've got a passenger side steer tire on my DRW little truck I've noticed has been wearing like that also with the flat spotting on the outside shoulder. When I jack the front positions off the ground and give it a spin I notice that side spins a little easier than the driver's side...possibly too easy which would indicate a wheel bearing adjustment that's worn itself a little too loose. That should be looked at as well as the front end alignment when new steer tires go on. Consider a pair of Centramatic auto-balancers as well...helps tire life a bit. (Basically just turn wallet upside down and shake till empty...)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    joseph1853 Thanks this.
  4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Mine is doing it all the way across not just on the sides. It's like a flat section the whole width of the tire but I think I figured out the problem..

The most obvious thing to cause the wear I'm seeing is shocks. This is what I've thought from the start, but it's a new truck (well 50k miles but I bought it new this year) Anyway, GM in their infinite wisdom didn't put shocks on the rear of the truck. You actually have to special order it to get shocks on them.. I've checked countless of these trucks new at the dealerships and haven't seen a single one with rear shocks.

Anyway, I think what is happening, is a combo of it being a long chassis, no shocks on the rear me hauling heavy loads and the front shocks are not strong enough for what the truck is tasked to do.

My thinking is with no shocks on the back, there is nothing to control the rear bounce. It's usually not bad, but when I get on concrete sections of the highway it can bounce really bad if the road is crappy. Say for instance like driving through Baton Rouge on i10 or i25 through Denver is horrible. (all that new road sucks ####)

Anyway, I think what's happening is when the truck bounces due to having no rear shocks, the front shocks aren't heavy-duty enough to counteract on the front in and I think maybe the tires are skipping a bit. Not noticeable when driving but I'm guessing that's what is happening and once it starts to wear the tires like that they just get worse.

Anyway, I have a local shop that deals with truck tires so I threw a new set of cheap tires on the front for now until I get the issue sorted. I'm gonna try putting heavier duty shocks on the front and air bagging the rear axle. the problem is no one sells an airbag kit for this truck so I have to make my own.

edit..

oh and for the record, I've figured out that Chevy is using international MD frames. I knew Chevy & international were working together on these trucks but I thought it was just a rebadge deal so international could sell a version of it.

The truck however has international tags/stickers all over it. I believe they are using the International 4300 chassis for this truk but I need to see one in person side by side to compare them. The truck is a 5500md but it's not just a beefed-up 3500 like Ford & Dodge do.

This truck has actual 10-inch truck frame rails or whatever size the bigger Medium Duty trucks use (I think it's 10 in). It has Semi size lugs for the wheels not normal light-duty truck lugs. It's an actual heavy-duty chassis which is why I liked it but they 100% dropped the ball on not putting shocks on the rear ends. I can't for the life of me think what the thought process behind that was..

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    beastr123 Thanks this.
  5. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    yeah you might have just stumbled on a peculiarity of that model of truck. Relatively shortly you'll know if the problem is persisting with the new tires and shocks...easy enough to swap those out and the stock shocks might have just been subpar for what you are doing with it.

If it's one of those GM 4500-6500 series, I actually kind of like those. Totally different truck from the pickups more in common with a Ford 650-750 series truck and those L5P Duramax's I think have had a pretty good track record. I don't know what transmission they use...some controversy these days over what a "real" Allison is and whether or not a GM truck has one but I haven't kept up with all that. Some nice big rig features you don't normally see on the smaller trucks. Tilt forward hood, battery box under the steps, drop H-beam front axle on the 2wd, separate DEF fill, up to 65 gallons fuel stock which would be enough for most guys not to have to add a slip tank. Completely out of my price range but I'd be happy running one spec'ed out right no problem. What happened to the F-650?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Yeah, it's a 2019 Chevy 5500md, I guess should have posted that in my 1st post.. lol Overall I'm pretty happy with the truck with the exception of the rear shock thing. I do think I wouldn't be having this problem if they had put shocks on it. I've never even heard of a manufacturer not putting shocks on the rear axle before.. I didn't even notice it until I was on my 1st trip with it..

I got lucky on mine, I found a brand new 2019 that was never sold. Some company ordered a few of them completely blinged out with all the options, then Coronavirus hit and they never took delivery. I bought it in Jan of this year brand new with a $12k discount due to it being a 2019 just before all the computer chip stuff happened.

As for the transmission that's another good thing on it. They didn't use a modified version of the normal truck trans, they used one of the more heavy duty Allision 6 speeds. It had a PTO option and has a driveshaft parking brake which is nice for loading cars. It's a lot more like a F650 than it is a Chevy 3500...

It's the 2wd with the straight axle but that DEF filler sucks because it's on the passenger side.. So I have to sneak into slow truck stops and come in the pumps backward to fill the DEF.

It's a bit annoying though, I already have 50k miles on it and I still don't have it outfitted as I want. I have a sleeper for it and a semi 5th wheel sitting in the garage and still haven't gotten it all on the truck yet.. I keep joking that I'm finally going to get the truck set up then I'll sell it to buy a new one.. lol

As for the motor, I'm weary of having a DPF system on the truck but so far no motor problems at all. It does get an odd ticking noise at times though but supposedly that's normal they claim for the injectors.... With that said, I have a guy I haul equipment for from time to time who says he can make certain things go bye, bye for me it for me when or if I'm ready but he suggested getting 100k on it 1st.

Overall I think I'd buy the truck again, but I'd do a special order to get the optional engine-driven air compressor and get the factory air bags on the rear axle (that's an actual option even on the 5500's but it had to be special ordered)

7. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    As far as the DEF filler being on the wrong side, what I can say is I'd probably only be filling it with boxed stuff anyway and have heard that is an extra precaution others have taken to. Cost's a little more but peanuts compared to what fuel is these days. As for the DPF, just try not to idle as much as possible.

That's interesting they have an engine driven air compressor. Didn't even know they could put those on a Duramax. Although on the 650/750 Fords they can do optional air brakes with the 6.7 powerstroke so they must have one on those too. I don't think they do air brakes on the GM...GVWR on those only go up to 23,500 where as the Fords go all the way up into the class 8 weight ranges with the 650's starting at 22,000 GVWR. Ford really has the most complete lineup of weight ranges and capabilities but that's because they have two entirely separate models of truck in the medium and medium-heavy duty market where as GM and RAM only have one platform they work with. The GM's are easily my favorite though. They could probably offer a 7500 series and bump the GVWR up to 26,000 if they wanted.

8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    On the 5th wheel, hitchrafters in North Carolina might have a bolt on kit now for the medium duty Sliverados. I've seen up close their kits for the later model Rams and Fords and they look sharp installed on the truck, almost like it was OEM. Jigged out brackets that bolt to the sides of the frame with no drilling and then a beefy 3/4" steel plate the 5th wheel hitch itself bolts to. Dan's Hitches here in Elkhart builds these things all the time for RV and car hauler upfits. They use a 36k setup with a no-lube plate on it. I think it's a Trailer Saver brand or something. I would have been all over that one but they only offer that for the newer trucks. Older trucks like my 99 they figure probably not enough people still running those to be worth doing.

Honestly I'd be a little leery about making parts fall off on a medium duty with the CA hologram sticker. And it will be an issue for resale or trade in. These dudes with their 3/4-1 ton personal show-off rigs that get hopped up for performance...yeah whatever. But if it's a business rig I would at least leave that alone until it gave you problems. And then I'd see how much the problem was and decide on that.

9. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    That’s pretty cool about the MD frame and wheel lugs. I was also curious about these trucks. Starting to see more of them on the road. One guy had a beautiful single cab welder rig. Broke my neck checking it out :rolleyes:

10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

The only thing people have issues with DEF is supposedly water can get in the tanks. It's not like quality is any better or anything.. The whole buying "bluedef" for $18/2.5 gallons is completely insane.. It's all driven by people knowing DPS systems are crap s they think overpaying for cow piss in a fancy box to stop the system from breaking. If I buy it boxed I just buy Walmart's generic stuff because it's around $7/2.5 gal which is pretty close to pump price.

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't plan to delete it unless I have to. It will be if it gives me trouble and only if I intend to keep the truck very long term. Most likely I'll sell the truck in or before the 100k range TBH.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.