Anyone hauling bulk products with an end dump in the Northeast?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by BigCam9670, Nov 18, 2012.

1. BigCam9670

BigCam9670 Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Hi, I am currently an O/O running a hopper bottom around the Northeast leased to another small O/O. We only haul out of one mill and deliver from PA up to ME. We always run home empty. I am making some money but it seems that it would obviously be smarter to try and find loads coming back or going somewhere else and make a big triangle. I have been doing some research and have been thinking of picking up a frameless dump trailer and getting my own authority and hauling out of this mill and just making contacts and use load boards to find bulk loads so I can be loaded most of the time. I feel like a dump trailer is so much more versatile as to what you can haul and do with it as opposed to a hopper trailer. Maybe I am missing something but I think I can make this profitabl on my own. I have an older truck and do all work on it myself and will be buying an older trailer. The trouble is finding a trailer you can load 25 ton of wheat mids on, I have a line on one that will hold about 1900 cu/ft but that would only work out to around 22 ton of mids. I am sure it would be great for corn/coal/grain, but wheat mids are what we haul out of my backyard. Anyone have any suggestions or experience in this area? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    there are end dumps with a drop axle that would get you 25 tons. there are also some floating around that have metal stakes along the top of the end dump. and a plate on each side of the trailer welded to the stakes and the bed itself. giving a higher wall. nothing on the back though.

and if need be. a roll up mesh tarp. light. to cover the load.

there is one construction company around here that has some really high end dumps. don't ask me why. it's a much heavier trailer so it can't handle as much weight. should a cop decide to pull it over for some reason and weigh it. the trailer and tractor are only 5 axles combined.

just outta curiosity. since i've never heard the term frameless trailer. is that the same thing we around here call end dumps? you all call them frameless but when i google it i get end dumps.

4. Calspring

Calspring Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Canada
    Here is a link to a picture of a frameless dump. I haven't seen many around however I am not looking for them either.

I would find it hard to go it by yourself as a long distance dump operator. There are some shippers that I know of but they all use multi truck companies on a dedicated basis.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    that's what i thought.

we call them end dumps. not frameless trailers. LOL.

6. BigCam9670

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    yes it is an end dump, but this style doesnt actually have a frame, hence the name "frameless". A "frame" type trailer , the tub lifts while the frame and axles all stay on the ground. On a frameless, the axles go up with the tub, and just the rear tires are on the ground.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    that's all i've ever seen. nothing has a frame. we still call them end dumps. not frameless.

and some end dumps lift the front axle while others stay on the ground. they're still all frameless.

i've never seen a end dump that actually has a frame.

the ones that stay on the ground. actually pivots the tub. no frame other then the tubes that act as a frame. sorta. and the same tubes as the end dumps that lift an axle.

8. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Big Cam is correct in his explanation. I would say frame type end dumps are far more common than the frameless. Frameless is usually used to haul grain and ag products, then sometimes they are used for hauling special sands and dried clay. Frame types are used to haul dirt, gravel, and other type products that are damaging and require steel beds. Frameless dumps are usually longer and made from aluminum and they are very easy to tip over.

9. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
  10. BigCam9670

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Thanks dogknot. I am going to try and talk to the higher ups at this mill and see what it takes to start hauling loads for them. I have been talking to every guy I see with a dump trailer doing this and they all say just go for. Some guys even haul palletized freight with their wagon, as long as it is a 102" wide trailer. I would need a watertight tarp system for sure, and I will need to modify the trailer I am looking at, just to add some things to make grain hauling easier.

11. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    Ok, well here's what the patent application states:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.