Anyone hauling bulk products with an end dump in the Northeast?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by BigCam9670, Nov 18, 2012.

1. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Bunch of salt plants in/around the Finger Lakes (Cargill in Watkins Glen and Lansing, US Salt in Geneseo and Watkins Glen vicinity). Gets pretty busy hauling that around the northeast during winter. I snag a load out of Watkins Glen every now and then, but it's food salt not road salt.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigCam9670

BigCam9670 Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Jpenn, you haul that food grade salt in a dump trailer or pneumatic? I would think anything food grade would be going in a pneumatic trailer...

4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    End dump with a good tarp. We haul bone meal out, salt back. I work for a meat packing plant, and am not sure what they use the salt for, as it's not the meat products (something to do with the hides, I suspect).

5. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    A frame less end dump can't handle pay loads over 80000 thus a need for frame. Also if you going OTR you will need to be 39' long to meet bridge laws in many states. Check out US Bulk out of Erie PA. This is a slow time for them but you can make some good coin here after feb.

6. special k

special k Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    A frameless trailer that is is spec'd right can haul heavy also. In Ont there is frameless triaxles that gross out arond 120,000 on a daily basis. If you are going to try and haul different commodities as a backhaul I would lean toward a frame type. In Detroit I used to see dumps picking up steel coils and loading skidded coils with a fork truck. I think that would take its toll on a frameless trailer.

7. BigCam9670

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    We are going to try and stay away from palletized stuff i think. This trailer was too good of a deal to pass up and it will get us going. It is 39' long and is a triaxle. It is at the welding shop right now getting some fab work done and will be looking to get going in a month or so. Thanks for all the ideas

8. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    a swing door with a flat bottom dump allows you to haul pallet freight. This is something you should think about because the back haul is just important as the head load. We all had to learn and you will to all it is hard work and don't sit at home.

9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    not to mention you are going to have one hell of a time trying to pave with a frameless trailer, framed trailers are more like the tri axles, not really OTR trucks, truck in my sig I usually run 35 ton in, puts me about 102k

[​IMG]

10. BigCam9670

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Well we are going to keep the 2 way gate in order to be able to be loaded with pallets if need be. Versatility is the name of the game. Looking for a watertight roll over tarp for an end dump, does anyone have any suggestions? Mountain tarp looks to be the front runner so far. I should be getting overweight permits for NY VT and MA at 102,000 on 6 axles. We will probably never be able to get that kind of weight in the wagon depending on what it is but it will be nice to not have to worry about scales.

11. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Find a local or semi local tarp shop if you can. They are a wear item just like your brake pads...how fast depends on what you're hauling and how well you secure the tarp. Personally I like the side to side roll tarps...we haul bone meal, blood meal and table salt, and very seldom have trouble with it getting wet. We're using whatever comes stock on the East Genesis, with a few tweaks to cover the ends better (flap and 5-6 bungees at the rear).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.