Anyone here driving otr for American Furniture Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Pianoman, Aug 2, 2017.

1. ThyArtIsBehemoth

ThyArtIsBehemoth Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    I used to drive for them. Not a bad outfit expect to take your ten and get moving. Haul outta golden to southeast. Travis is in dispatch and Braxton was also. Mike Is a prick boss.

Need4Speed and Pianoman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ThyArtIsBehemoth

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    Pretty much you run out. And you get 32 hours at home +- drive time. They only usually gave us resets out 6-7 home 1. Still at 38 cents though I’d take my chances wth a different outfit. If you ever run into a guy named Gary P aka silky lips and Carl aka strawberry cowboy those are two cool dudes.

Pianoman Thanks this.
  4. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Expect to take my ten and get moving? Lol, they musta been running you different. If I do that I end up getting home a day early and getting two full days at home. Last week I even asked them if they had some local stuff to do for a day cause I was bored!

And yeah it's 38 cpm but I'm grossing 1400 average a week so far because of the extra pay so I don't think that's too bad.

Why'd you end up leaving? You mean Mike Dowell? I've only met him once. Anything I should know about him?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. ThyArtIsBehemoth

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    I never got 2 full days at home in 6 months.
    They used to start guys out @ .37 I got .38
    I ended up leaving because I broke down 9 times in 6 months. I spent 8 days in Memphis broke down during Christmas not under a load and asked if I could fly home to be with family Mike said no. My truck was a freight liner with around 800 thousand miles on it. It had dog hair everywhere and was nasty I asked them multiple times if I could get it detailed, at the place next store in Thornton nope wouldn’t let me. Also the last few runs I got out of Orion rugs in SC. You’d get there with about 2 hours left of of driving time. They would make you sit in the warehouse and count each and every rug they put on the truck (700+) or they wouldn’t load you. No joke. I asked Braxton and Travis about if I was going to get paid for this. Nope. I asked Mike Dowel to which he said Nope. So after a few weeks of having to sleep in the loading dock, being out of hours and that stupid security guard who couldn’t seem to remember me waking me up each time at #### midnight to tell me to move I had enough. Told Mike I was done. “I wish I had those kind of load times when I was running” is what he said. I told him “yeah mike because you’ve just drove for this company and no one else your clueless.” So he tried to dick me around a little at the end. Life isn’t oh so grand for Mikey Poo he is driving Uber’s on the side to make ends meet. Serves him right.
    Good luck there, mean that truly. But if you aren’t a yes man to Mike you’ll be short lived. Him and his stupid effing yellow shirt.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  6. Pianoman

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Haha sorry for laughing, that last part just cracked me up. Sorry you had a bad experience here. I usually deal with Kelly instead of Mike, since Kelly is the one who hired me. He's pretty cool--very easy to get along with.

9 times in 6 months is alot, but I believe it if you had that many miles on that truck. I really don't like the truck I've got (International)--it shakes like a freight train. It's so bad I can't see anything out of my mirrors at night. Mechanics keep trying different things to fix it but so far no dice. But at least it's low mileage and runs fine...which means I'm stuck with it for several years haha.

I'm kinda confused about the whole Orion deal though. Why did you have to show up with 2 hrs left on your clock? Would it have been possible to just take your ten nearby and pick up the next day with fresh hours? And did they not pay you detention pay if you were there for several hours? Maybe they've changed things since you were here, but now they pay detention pay after 2 or 4 hrs. Can't remember which. We also get layover pay if we're held over for a day waiting for our load--wouldn't have applied in your situation but still.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  7. ThyArtIsBehemoth

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    Usually was running from Georgia or Mississippi or alcova Tennessee out to South Carolina we had set load days with Orion then

Pianoman Thanks this.
  8. Pianoman

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Oh I see. Yeah makes sense now. Most of these pickups are drop n hook so I can show up whenever. I wasn't thinking about the whole live load/set appointment time thing.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Pianoman

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So Mike with his "effing yellow shirt" did me a favor yesterday. My truck has the shakes, BAD. Anytime I go over 65 really it's a real pain in the ###. Shop's been working on it and haven't figured out the problem yet, but they only have 1-2 days a week to work on it while I'm home. I asked Mike and Kelly if there was anything we could do to speed up the process. He assigned me a different truck right then and there--I didn't even have to ask.

Oh yeah, I'm also getting two full days at home this week--didn't have to ask for that either. Got back Thursday, going out Sunday, log over 3000 miles every week. @ThyArtIsBehemoth I think your problem with Mike was you.

aztruckerr and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. ThyArtIsBehemoth

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    Yeah buddy you think what you want.
    I drove for them over 2 years ago.
    Things might have changed.
    So don’t go blasting me about how I was the problem.

aztruckerr Thanks this.
  11. ThyArtIsBehemoth

Oct 4, 2017
    Wyoming
    On top of your little quote.
    You haven’t broke down on the road for 8+ days with them. Over Christmas.
    Haven’t experienced Mikes little phone calls asking why You filled up with 78 gallons instead of 75.
    Ran through Arizona and NM with no AC in dead of summer because Mike didn’t want to have AC fixed in the Arizona Terminal.

Listen dude I’m overly joyed your having a great experience but many many drivers haven’t. So keep your little comments to yourself until you get some time in there.

aztruckerr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.