Anyone here familiar with “brownie” transmissions?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by rccarlson22, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    No those are fully manual transmissions.

If you went to a junkyard the pedals themselves are not really a big deal.

But with newer trucks I would imagine if you took everything that went with it it's probably a hydraulic clutch and I don't know if that's an issue with that on something like this type of transmission. It may be as simple as just making a mount to hold the cable, I don't know.

The other option is finding a linkage setup from another truck and possibly even using that pedal. You would have to see what is involved with either part of that.

I will tell you though myself, if it were me, I would always have a manual transmission because whatever it would cost you to install that if you have one problem with that automatic transmission it will cost you way more to repair.

And if you could sell it while it's still in good shape you'd be that much further ahead.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Fuller transmissions would bolt up but with his truck being an automatic from the factory that would be quite a bit of custom work. A truck like his would be pretty #### cool with a 13 speed Fuller in it though.

The Allison auto just isn't cutting it? Did you get that 22.5" rubber off there? That would help if not.

4. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

I think I’m going to fix a couple odds and ends on it to make it more appealing to a buyer and sell it eventually. I’ll use it a bit longer

5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Why not leave the truck as is, and install a 2 speed rear?

6. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    who makes those? Or what vehicles can I get one out of?

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just replace the trans with another trans, get a 13 speed in the truck, assuming you have air supply, it is better and more reliable. If you want something to drop in there, a G53 or nv5600 is good too.

brownies are old school unreliable junk. I have three of them in the parts shed and one on a pickup that I aquired and never got around to fix because the previous owner had a driver who tried to “race” the truck and destroyed something in the drive train.

People like them for nostalgia or to be different, they won’t hold up like people think in heavy or high torque applications behind modern engines.

8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Well you first need to know what axle you have. To know if one would fit. Try calling a rebuilder and ask. With a auto you would only shift once in high gear. But could greatly improve start ability.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.