anyone interested in cheap a/c

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by snowwy, May 24, 2013.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    he posted a link above the 1st pic of the a/c "soleus"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Hey Left Lane, I know this is an old thread but I hope you are still on here...I need to do something with my trucks about their idle time and this looks like a perfect setup. Problem is I am completely illiterate when it comes to what you did. Is there any way you could PM me with instructions/parts lists? Half of the pictures in this thread wouldn't come up when I clicked on them, so I'm definitely lost. I would appreciate any help. $60,000 to outfit my fleet with APU's just isn't feasible, but neither are these fuel costs...

4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Leftlane has not been on this forum since 2015.

5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    If your expecting your drivers to carry fuel in a gas can and get some Jerry rigged APU to work you should just hang it up now.

I have a home made unit on my truck and I carry gas in a 5 gal gas can but, I own the truck and built the unit myself. Ain’t no way you should be expecting a driver to be doing this. An APU should be able to pay for itself no problem. I could easily afford to have one instaled and operating on my truck but..........

Never mind

6. KittyKicker

KittyKicker Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Not really sure why you seem to have such an attitude, but thanks for your opinion I guess. I never said I was going to have drivers install any of this. But putting a generator on a remote and having ac controls in the bunk is no different than an apu. I supply gasoline to the drivers and they are expected to fill up before they leave or sweat it out. They make it back often enough that they should never run out of fuel. The trucks get set at a 5 minute idle shut down. Nobody is talking about expecting drivers to do anything but an extra step in their pre trip, but please keep lecturing me about my operation. APU's are over priced and tend to be maintenance hogs, hence I do not see the point if I can do the same thing for 1/3 of the cost. Silly me, finding ways to save money in order to save even more money. I guess I really should "hang it up" because clearly spending more money is the better business decision. If you read the #### post you would see I'm trying to get info on how to wire it up the correct way, so that all the driver has to do is fire it up.

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    That is kind of heavy though? 6 more batteries? Put them where?

8. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I had that setup 2 trucks ago. Freightliner wanted $3000 to repair a.c. Buddy of mine owns a body shop. Total cost was less than $500. And yes it was secured and sealed
    Could make truck ice cold in middle of July in arizona.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    An upright takes up to much room, unless you remove either fridge or closet cabinet.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yea, that was the reason for the never mind. Figured you you’d feel exactly as you do.

I bet you got some top shelf employees!

Good day

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    How much does a battery weigh that 6 more would kill the gross weight? Probably 100 pounds tops.

I have no idea where. Be creative. I don't know your truck.

One idea would be to add 6 glass mats and put em under the bunk. Don't use the old lead acid type of batteries. For lots of reasons.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.