Anyone know about this crazy Louisiana law?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Mommas_money_maker, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    Long story, so heres the short version. I have a 53 ft step with sliding spread. I had the axle's together and was given an inspection form (no ticket yet) saying I was overweight by 2000 lbs on the axle group but was 10000 lbs under gross. She asked if I could make it legal and I said no problem will just spread it. This is where the problem comes in. She told me no I couldnt spread it, I could slide the group together to another hole or move the load but couldnt spread my axles to make it legal. Anyone ever hear or know about this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    let me guess I 20 west bound just coming out of Mississippi right...
    that HAG is such a BEIOOOOTCH there....
    your lucky she even let you slide the group....there is no law....she was just showing you a very RARE bit of courtesy as by law they dont have to let you slide at all....but you can shift the load by hand..

4. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    WB I-12, I couldnt slide the group as it will only slide rear axle to either make them spread or together, Front is fixed. I just couldnt see why she would let me slide the group but not a single axle to fix it. I told her I will go down the road and fix it and they said thats ok, its your business, Just wondering if its fightable as they dont write the ticket there, only an inspection report and thats what they found wrong, She was crotchety for sure!

5. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    BTW she said it was the law as to why I couldnt spread it as it changed the configuration of the trailer. No fricken duh!!

6. 1988pete379

1988pete379 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    North East TX
    IT is Louisana what do you expect they write their own rules in that state

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  7. 1958Pete

1958Pete Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Jonesville, Louisiana
    This is true ...

8. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Just a question. If you have the option of making it a spread why would you ever WANT to close it and worry about scaling anything?

9. boxcarmonument

boxcarmonument Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Canton Ohio
    Bridge law. La is one of the states with a bridge law. I don't know what LA requires but in Ca if a trailer is longer than 48' it has to be 40' from the king pin to the rear axle.

10. dino6960

dino6960 YOUDAMAN

Jun 25, 2009
    florida
    it's 41 ft, fla has the same law, but , in fla it's called the 41/44,000 rule, you can'nt spread your axel, due to the center of your rear axel can not be more than 41 ft from the king pin, but you can carry 44,000 in tandem :biggrin_2551: an yah know how i know this? I was the award winner at the old town scales on us 19, and the gift giver also gave me a copy of the rules:biggrin_25523:

11. Mommas_money_maker

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I was coming out of florida and heading for CA. I ended up spreading'em but going to have to play dodgem in cali when they go back together.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.