Anyone know this old truck stop?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bthomann, Sep 27, 2020.

1. bthomann

bthomann Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Hello, drivers. Any of you travel I-55 through Illinois frequently over the last few decades? If so, I'm looking for the name of an old truck stop or gas station that was in White City, Illinois. It may also have had a Mount Olive address. If you bring up Google Maps, it's the vacant lot on the west side of I-55 where Hawkeye Steel stores all their materials now. No urgent need: I was just curious. Searching the Internet brings up nothing. Thanks again! Be safe out there!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    That kind of sounds like Diamonds.

bthomann Thanks this.
  4. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    Thanks, Zodiac. But the old Diamonds 66 was one exit down in Staunton at exit 41. That's just a vacant farm plot now. But thanks for trying. The one I was looking at is off of exit 44, with White City to the west and Mount Olive to the east.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  5. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    Anyhoo, my search continues.......

6. Invisable Trucker

Invisable Trucker Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2019
    I asked this Old Geezer who started running 55 when it was all dirt and freight was pulled by horse and buggy. He says that you're describing the old Route 138 Cafe

bthomann and 650cat425 Thank this.
  7. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    Thanks so much, Invisable! It looks like it has been gone for quite some time. The old fuel price sign by the interstate still stands.

8. bthomann

Sep 26, 2020
    From Googling that name, I got some more information. Interestingly, it appears they eventually relocated into the old Sunset Restaurant and Motel across the interstate when a Nickerson Farms restaurant was built on their old site. They are closed again as of three years ago. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.