Anyone out there 100% independent and use a dispatch type service?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hanadarko, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sjmay

sjmay Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Danny,

I understand what you are saying, but would you stay with a dispatcher who booked loads for you that didnt make you money, regardless of what you were paying him? You could be paying a dispatcher 1% on gross, but if he is only booking you freight that makes you lose money, why would you stay with him?

The incentive to get good paying freight for any dispatcher, is to keep your business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KristineinTrucking

KristineinTrucking Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2012
    A good dispatcher that offers dispatching services is always working for the independent owner operator. I have seen many different percentage/commission services out there, and each offers an array of services along with dispatching.

4. Andy.T

Andy.T Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Hey GMan,
    I have been a dispatcher for a carrier for about 3 years and I am about to start my own independent dispatch service. If there is any tips/advice or information you can provide me, it would be greatly appreciated....I do have one question....how do you get paid? How do you collect? Do you get paid via CC Authorization, PayPal or ComCheck? Do you get paid once the driver is loaded, or once they unload? Do you recommend them signing a contract for services? Please let me know your best advice, because I really dont want to get stiffed.

NightWind Thanks this.
  5. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    The 1st guy I looked at took CCards monthly. Fixed rate.
    The 2nd guy I talked with is already a broker/carrier and offered me dispatch...I would pay each month.
    I didnt opt for either (so far).

Andy...you make a good question in this thread, but in my case...its just like when I haul a load for a broker.
    I hope I get paid. I review his credit score and DTP and then decide if its worth the risk.

Sometimes I guess we have to trust people...although its tough.

NightWind Thanks this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Everyone that I dispatched signed a contract which outlined what was expected from both of us. I got paid each time the owner put a load on the truck. Most mailed a check or gave me a comcheck number. I also set up to take a credit card or paypal.

NightWind Thanks this.
  7. johndoe123

johndoe123 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    hey i have a ? could i make good money pulling a goose 40ft in tx who would u recomend thanks

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I am not sure you your are asking, but I still see quite a few hotshots pulling goose necks. I would check with some of the oilfield suppliers. You might also check some of the oil companies. Another source that could give you an idea of the market would be some of the load boards. I have no idea the rates they are getting. But, most do pretty well with rates since much of what they haul is time sensitive.

9. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I'm not sure why anyone would pay 10% of the gross to someone I pay a lady $400 a week for five trucks and if they hit a target rate to each truck she gets a extra $100 that week she couldn't be happier think out side the box I don't want someone trying to find me and 30 other trucks at the same time someone is on the back burner!!

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I primarily dealt with the single truck operator who preferred to drive rather than find loads. I was almost always able to find and negotiate better rates than what they were able to find on their own. In fact, they usually did better after paying me than they did on their own. I don't recall anyone whom I dispatched who didn't make more with me dispatching them than they were able to do on their own. My service was not a cost to them, even though they paid me 10%. Anyone can find a load and put it on a truck. Not everyone is willing or capable of consistently finding and negotiating good rates. There are those who will dispatch trucks for as little as 5%. You essentially get what you pay for in this business. I was on the phone non stop from early morning to later at night, since I dealt with people in 4 different time zones. If someone is a good manager and owns several trucks, it might make sense to have an in-house dispatcher. But, finding one who will consistently find good rates and keep your trucks rolling is the challenge. Not everyone can dispatch well. When done right, it is very time intensive.

11. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    It's hard negotiating rates these days brokers just don't want to give any I'm not saying the girl I have is good at it most the time she calls me when the numbers are close but can't get there sometimes I can get what she can't sometimes I'll even call like she didn't just try

I called on 36 loads today out of AZ I can't find anything over $1.60/mi unless it's copper going to Amarillo it pays $2/mi but cant get anything out of the looking at D/H to ok city or Dallas can't wait to get away from a five axle

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.