Anyone out there 100% independent and use a dispatch type service?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Hanadarko, Jul 12, 2012.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I know exactly what my deadhead is on every load month to month week to week, whatever. I keep very detailed records. I did $2.21 a mile last year on 76k miles, 23% of those 76k were deadhead, with a 53' dry van. This being leased to a company after their cut comes out, Self dispatched, that is why I say no dispatch service will ever come close to what I do on my own. 23% deadhead is a lot. What is your dry van deadhead percentage?

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SIXGUNXXX

SIXGUNXXX Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Im looking for REAL LEADS AND INFO on hotshot jobs Im in TN. looking for TX,OK- etc NOT Canada east coast/......No R.V.s.......Im looking for Money..lol. oilfield ;or LTL ... Iv got a 07 cummins/9ft flatbed. iv been running terminal to terminal for the last 3yrs..so im a bit out of the loop of real trucking. and any info on oilfield jobs in general out in tx. im new to posting here so i may be slow

4. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    looks like we are going to take on a few new flatbeders for dispatching in the next few weeks......been getting alot of calls last few weeks about it

5. Keithturner

Keithturner Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2018

6. Keithturner

Keithturner Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I do own a dispatch company but am not operating it currently as we are running our semi.
    I do recommend using a dispatcher but it is very hard to find a good one many dispatchers have to many drivers, or cant get the better rates. I do suggest a trial period at a lower rate and if the dispatcher performs increase the rate because if u get a good dispatcher and pay him well u will do well also. Many drivers try to pay the lowest poss rate but my logic is I want my dispatcher to make a lot of money for good performance
    Any questions call Keith
    813-732-7181

7. cgilliland

cgilliland Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    part of it is just consistency, if the industry generally pays dispatch as a percentage of gross, then that's the metric that is widely understood: sorta like lease taking 25% of gross

8. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    @cgilliland good job responding to Danny's post from July 2012............

NightWind and henboy1 Thank this.
  9. kenn2632

kenn2632 Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2010
    baltimore,maryland
    LMAO

10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    When I started otr I ran my own numbers, my wife took care of the dispatching from a home office. It didn't take me long at all to understand that I was better off driving while someone else took care of the task of keeping me loaded. It was not too long before I added a couple of trucks and 3 oo's, another girl in the office, to help my wife.
    It was not too long after that that a trucker I knew called and ask them if they could possibly find them a load, and before long they were dispatching 3 one man show, outside trucks, which worked out well for all involved.
    Like Gman mentioned, we charged 10% on the gross, but it came in as to no cost to the oo, because we typically got them better rates than they were getting trying to drive and dispatch themselves. It was a win win for everybody.

11. soloreads

soloreads Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2020
    I own a couple of trucks and it's hard for me to dispatch loads myself. It takes to much of my time. So I have independent dispatch services that I use. They help manage all my dispatching for my flatbed and dry van trucks. I use truckdispatch360 they do awesome truck dispatch services. I know if I dispatched myself I would save some money but I am actually trying to grow my fleet so I need to focus on other things instead of sitting behind my laptop dispatching.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2020
    Reason for edit: Links removed
    NightWind Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.