Anyone run intermodal/containers/etc in south florida?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by sprayed150, Aug 19, 2016.

1. sprayed150

sprayed150 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    I've been doing OTR flatbed for coming up on a year, and overall have enjoyed it but I can see that I wont want to do this OTR for too much longer and I am trying to plot my escape come springtime.

For those working south florida, thats home for me in broward county, and i rather enjoy living there. I figure there has to be some place to work down there between Ft lauderdale, miami, medley and all that where you can make money. I have hazmat, twic, tanker buying a truck to use wouldn't be an issue for me if the money was there.

Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highrisk21

Highrisk21 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Are you going to be an owner op or company driver? There is decent freight in FL it's just hard to come by. Depending on what kinda of money you consider good? If you lease to a company and stay in FL your looking around 1,000-1,500 per week after expenses. 1,500 being towards the top. Don't let ppl feed you BS.

4. sprayed150

sprayed150 Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    I'd o/o given the choice if the money was in it. I do about 1k/wk now otr flatbed

5. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    I stay in Broward and I will give you my advice, I did the same thing you trying to do and unless you are Spanish you are going to starve trying to run Miami and broward. Try finding something out of Jacksonville that will get you south few nights a week and on the weekend. Those companies down their pay so cheap you won't be able to maintain the truck and it is going to break down its just a matter of when

123456 Thanks this.
  6. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Use the flat bed haul mulch, you run in FL, you probably do better than hauling container. I haul container out of Miami and port everglades. Miami port suck. I run out of Jacksonville now, there are some descent companies out of Jacksonville

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  7. Frghter Century 12.7 Detr

Frghter Century 12.7 Detr Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I run out of Port of Tampa. Used to do the over the road thing and could not handle the B.S. CRST Malone running Coils in the mid west. Bought a former Schneider truck and I pull vans, Containers and flatbed. There is good loads out of Florida local but you have to connect yourself with the right people. I run for a guy that has a warehouse and doing good. Just today I pulled out of Port of Tampa 6 containers and were unloaded in 30 min. in our warehouse. Today I made $780.00. That's one day. Tommorow will try another 6 pulls.

JimmyWells and 7seriestv Thank this.
  8. Rod1972

Rod1972 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Any advice on some companies to apply to??

9. Rod1972

Rod1972 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Any info. Great to hear from you!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.