Anyone who why older trucks are costing soo much?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by henboy1, May 15, 2018.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Wow why so cheap. To put that in perspective around my area there's guys pulling light 6,000 lb van loads for 1500 on 330 mi one way into new england. Brokered loads too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Yes cheap for a few reasons. Canada has been flooded with 3rd world immigrants starting back in the 70s. As much as I'd like to, because of what's happened since then, I can't blame them from trying to get ahead with, at best, a high school education. They managed to set up networks for financing etc. Now in my area in BC roughly 80% of the companies are now immigrant owned. Deregulation and a variety of other factors helped drive the rates down. But the government has been suckered into believing there's a dire driver shortage and now has programs that allow companies to bring in "drivers" from offshore. Through lowballing rates for everybody into the ground, and a constant stream of new drivers that are willing to drive for dirt, it's created a perfect storm. It's become worse, because more and more beige colored english speakers, even with many years of experience, are finding it hard to get hired now. Nobody outside my area would believe how many of the ads now say no experience necessary. That is #### scary, because many of the runs these new drivers do are down to the States, predominantly California. I don't think Americans know that many of the trucks they encounter from Canada have a poorly trained new driver commandeering an 80,000 machine on the roads all around them. It's way more scary in the mountains up here where I do my routes. Somehow staying on your own side of the line isn't being translated into their language very well. On twisty 2 lane goat trails at night it's not fun getting blinded by high beams coming around a corner, and then having a split second to see if the jerks bogies are on his side of the line once the headlights pass you. Rarely much of shoulder, so it's either a rock wall or a couple of hundred foot cliff beside you. And in the last 15 years now almost all curves on a downgrade have solid patches of rubber from hammering the brakes before them and even going around the curve. That's the skill and experience on the roads up here now. I could go on. Given that our tax rates are sky high up here. And given that the local fuel is approx $6.50 CDN per US gallon. And given that it's been a race to them bottom for rates. It's almost impossible to break even. My last truck gave me a heart attack when I finally took it across a government scale for it's tare weight, after I had spent tons on it fixing it up. 23,254 lbs!!! So my goal of doing runs down to the States and buying fuel at almost half price vanished. many carriers up here jam as much as humanly possible into the back. Most of the loads going south are 44 to 46. Now some demand 48. No wonder the wimpy little motors are all over the place now. Anyhow, trucking up here sucks. I would have hung up the steering wheel a long time ago, like many of the old school guys I've known. But I'll be 60 in a couple of months. A little late to start a new career.

DUNE-T and rank Thank this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    ^truth. Every word.

Look at the bright side....at least you don’t have speed limiters. Come to Ontario and get rear ended and cut off on the 401. it’s like restrictor plate racing with idiots out here

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Don't worry they flood I-81 with all their volvos and towels on their heads. Almost as bad as the trash haulers on 17 coming out of the city on R permits

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Hah, I was leased on to one company located out here, but they were using Manitoba insurance. Part of the contract stipulated that all the trucks must be governed to 105 klicks, supposedly to satisfy their insurance company. I had 3.21 rear end, and was able to cruise at 120 klicks all day long doing 1380 rpms. I think governing trucks to be evil and pernicious at the best of times. So I'm not going to do that to my truck. I'd never see top gear. So, upon close examination, an owner must submit a work order showing that the neutering had been performed. Ahhh, nothing said it had to stay that way. Just provide the paperwork and it's all good. So then I think to myself, why should I pay to have it done, just to turn around and pay for it to be undone again. Makes no earthly sense. So, had a chat with the owner of my preferred shop had him draw up a dummy invoice.
    I have never had a desire to drive back to Ontario of all places, where governing is the command from the government, so why screw myself everywhere else. I have heard that there are magic boxes people can put on, that will allow the guy in the seat to adjust his max rpms on the fly. I seem to remember it cost around $350, and could be mounted permanently if you wanted. I thought that was an enterprising idea for the folks back there with governed company trucks. Evidently it would leave no trace in the computers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.