Anyone willing to give me a chance?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thisdude157, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Yea but you had a CDL already! not somebody trying to get one like i did in 2006 and like thisdude157.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OFTOTR

OFTOTR Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Toccoa GA
    The big companies are not going to look outside the box far enough to check a Thai drivers license history.
    I don't care if he drove a tuk tuk and had a perfect safety record. :)

I think he needs to get some sort of job now, get a US DL, and try the trucking route in a year or so.

The 'International Drivers Licenses' are just TRANSLATIONS of your current, and valid US license. He would have to have maintained his previous US license to be able to use it, which apparently he didn't.
    They are not free standing, separate licenses.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  4. thisdude157

thisdude157 Bobtail Member

Apr 12, 2013
    I do appreciate all of the information and advice.
    I don't know what to say about a few of the comments.

I did not renew my license while in Thailand because I really had no plans of coming back until my son was born. Kids have a way of changing your plans. It's in his best interest to be in America and to
    learn here rather than the Thai school system. I'm just thinking of my kid, that's why I came home.
    Why not teaching? I'm not qualified to teach in America. I am qualified to teach ESL, (English as a Second Language) and my qualifications for that are only good in Thailand. It was the first thing I looked at when I came home.

I've never had a CDL. I did not drive in Thailand, cars are expensive there, even more so than here, and public transportation was very much readily available. A car would have been more of a burden than an asset in Bangkok.

I'm willing to take the course and to pay for it up front myself, What my main concern with doing that is ending up with a 6,000 dollar debt and no job after I'm finished.
    I will try to contact schneider to find out if they are willing to take me on.
    Thank you all for the advice and comments.
    Cheers

5. Charli Girl

Charli Girl Road Train Member

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Ex bedbugger here..(household mover) ANY MOVING COMPANY will hire you,nowadays they have to be as critical as the freight haulers. they will hire you to do local and you can go from there.BUT BE READY TO WORK YOUR BUTT OFF.Very hard work,and its seasonal.But like the guys told you,you have to pay your dues just like the rest of us.Or you can call the Schneiders,swift and the sort,they will take and train you.

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Living in Thailand you really do not need a car.
    But if you are still there, go take the driving test and then come to the states with your Thai license.
    Do not go to Kalson rd. aka back paper heaven and buy a phony.
    We live just west of Bangkok and we have a car, but when in Bangko we take the sky train or taxis.
    Good luck in getting work here.

7. thisdude157

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm applying everywhere. Tried applying at moving companies. Problem is I'm competing in a job market there
    that usually wants "bilingual" workers. I speak some Thai, but apparently in this area you are only
    considered bilingual if you speak Spanish and English.( I don't think the locals understand the meaning of the word bilingual). So the moving companies aren't hiring me.
    I'm in Texas now, not in Thailand anymore. Seriously thinking of just packing up and going back though.
    No work in America.

8. Charli Girl

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Where in Texas? If you are in any major city..hou,Austin,Dallas,s.a. They are hiring like crazy!!!
    i spent 30 years in HHG ,and I KNOW this is their time. United,Atlas,North American,Allied agents all over the city. I guarantee they'll take you.Just a place to cut your teeth on so you can get your miles.
    But if you don't want to do all that labor,Schneider and Swift will put you with a trainer and put you on the road,with no labor involved.

9. thisdude157

Apr 12, 2013
    I live at the bottom of Texas. The area is called rio grand valley.
    Where I'm at, most of the labor intensive jobs as you are mentioning, I am
    competing with Mexicans. Nothing against Mexicans at all, In fact I'm trying to knock the rust off my Spanish while I'm here.
    But they are all over the job market, everything I've applied for that does not require a CDL wants English/Spanish speakers.
    I'm not saying I have literally applied at every single company in the Rio Grand Valley area, But I have applied at everyone of them that I know of.
    Even trying to go thru the man powers and such I wasn't having luck.
    Right now, I'm working for a bank and it pays minimum wage. It'll do for now til I can either get Schneider or someone else to give me a shot.
    I'm giving it a little more time before I make the decision whether coming bakc was a good idea or not.

BTW, I'm not lazy and not afraid of work.

10. Charli Girl

Mar 23, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Ok...CALL SCHNEIDER!You are close to all the work you'll ever want down there,Schneider or swift will train you.Yes you are in a bad market without skills ,bc the Hispanic work ethic is excellent !Very hard workers,I loved when i used to get moves down there bc I knew I'd be getting good labor.
    So just call and see what they say,I've never gone to a trucking school or anything,but I would assume that they WILL OWN you for awhile,til you process your new driving skills.

11. -MadMax-

-MadMax- Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    *must... refrain, from... getting involved in ... political discussion......!*

Though I don't agree with the time line (nor, do I necessarily DISagree!, as 1 yr till collapse seems always a possibility) I DO see a US collapse, or something drastic that will take place for "America".

We have all the makings of a crap sandwich. So to expect a supreme roast beef delectable delight from the screwup this country has become, is ludicrous.

Oh, and a country that doesn't base their system off of a business that loans money to Gov's and expects that back PLUS interest, which, can never be repaid, COULD actually have a BETTER ECONOMY than the "Future America" - whatever that may consist of.
    Though, I am not specifically speaking of Thailand for I have no knowledge of the country.
    And, I rather doubt that one could find many places on the globe that are not entrenched into International Banking/Finance.

But, I must digress here. I've already said more than I intended haha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.