Anyone with a 2000 + Watt power inverter what do you have

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by skinnytrucker79, Jan 24, 2014.

1. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    On a side note.. Anyone know the power output of those onboard generators going in the new trucks? At some point I'll get in a newer rig that has one

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Stay away from the TS junk. I have two that quit after little use and huffed and puffed
    i purchased one from napa. Don't have the brand off hand but it's over 3000 and runs my micro. Tv. Laptop and whatever else I plug in with no issues
    i get a discount and even with that it was around $600

well worth it

4. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    I have a 2500 peak watt Cobra and it does fine. The key is to make sure it can get plenty of air underneath it to dissipate the heat. It runs my microwave, coffee pot and fridge with no problems. Also make sure the wiring going to the batteries is heavy enough to handle the voltage. I use the same size cables as my battery cables are with no problems. I have had this inverter in the truck for 3 years.

tommymonza and skinnytrucker79 Thank this.
  5. skinnytrucker79

skinnytrucker79 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    The truck was already prewired for a inverter. I only have a 400 watt in it now just for my laptop but that's obviously not gonna be enough. I had enough of TS mud and starbucks gets expensive. I-80 going through Ohio is good for having those at the Oasis

6. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    Oh I agree.....love having a coffee pot in the truck with me....so much better then the truck stops! and cheaper then Starbucks!

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. paidtourist

paidtourist Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2014
    As one other person posted anything really over 1500 is kinda overkill I think. The peak is plenty high enough to "power up" anything I can think of electrical. I have used inverters basically since they started making them and have found Cobra to hold up the best. I know you are not supposed to but I have had tv, dvd player, and a fan running and still use my microwave (700 watt little one) to cook my dinner while truck is shut off. Key is to make sure it is wired up correctly. I have mine direct with welding cable to the truck batteries. Here is the link to the one I've been using for just over 4yrs now and never had a problem. I do use an air hose and blow it out etc because the fans collect dust etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI-157...807&sr=8-1&keywords=cobra+inverter+1500+watts

8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I bought mine through TMC when I was working for them since its they wont allow you to buy your own. It was a cobra and I had to get it replaced 4 times. One had over heat ishues, another had bad outlets, another wouldn't turn on another would cut off at 13 volts. The last one I got has been running great for almost 2 years without any ishue. So I guess, they do make a lot of duds and have quality controll ishues, but if you get a good one they are good inverters.

9. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS

Same one I have. I have a flat screen, satellite, 360, microwave, toaster, coffee pot, dorm fridge, laptop, etc, etc, etc.... I've not had any issues with. I frequently run my microwave and a toaster while watching TV etc. with no issues. I just throttle truck up.

10. robbiehorn

robbiehorn Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Axtell,Texas
    I have a Cobra 2500w 5000w peak and it is one noisy loud SOB. The fan in it sounds like a jet airplane taking off when you open the fridge. When you surf the net it sounds off on every key you press on the laptop. It will run a drill pretty good though.lol

11. silentlysailing

silentlysailing Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    DFW, TX
    I bought a Cen-tech from harbor freight for 129 or 119. Then paid $10 for the 2 year warranty. Came out cheaper than most still. It's a 2000 watt inverter. Most intense thing I used was a laser printer. Which according on the little usage meter on the front was around 800-1000 watts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.