Anyone with a 2000 + Watt power inverter what do you have

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by skinnytrucker79, Jan 24, 2014.

1. skeeterbud

skeeterbud Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Austin,TX
    Just remember to install a fuse close to the battery on the Positive side. A good rule of thumb is to to divide your wattage by 10. Im running a 2000 watt true sine wave inverter with a 200 amp blade fuse. They slip right under the nut on your battery lugs, and are flexible enough to handle road shock. I've seen many drivers get away without fuse protection, but why risk it? It is such a simple extra precaution to do for peace of mind! And I've always gone to a welding shop and got at least #4 welding cable, and ran it inside plastic sheathing from any local auto parts house.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've owned several Cobras over the years and never had a problem out of one of them. People do poor installs too. If not done properly there can be all kinds of problems.

You probably got it mounted on an uneven surface where the unit is a little twisted. Ease up on the mounting bolts and see how it sits. Then barely re-tighten the bolts without distorting the case.

ANL 200 amp fuses and ANL fuse holder are the way to go as is 4 AWG wire for a 2000 watt. The fuse should be mounted as close to the batteries as possible as it's job is to protect the cable. Most units have built in protection but it doesn't protect the cable.

Here's a Cobra CPI-2575 feature...

tommymonza Thanks this.
  4. Until it falls apart

Until it falls apart Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I wish I would have looked at this thread in 2017. When I finally put my 2000 watt inverter in my truck. It's 2021 it's still in there but it's starting to act funny. And I just realized that they connected all four lines up to one battery. When you would think they would have connected it to two different batteries huh

5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    If the batteries are all connected together without a battery separation disconnect switch, than hooking both inverter cables to one battery makes absolutely No difference.

6. Until it falls apart

Until it falls apart Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2019
    I started looking at some of the newer 2000w inverters from PowerDrive and noticed that they only have 1 positive and 1 negative connection. unlike my old dying inverter, which I have in here now. I guess Friday I'll try to get a new one and mount it on the wall like I wanted it instead of it sitting on the floor.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.