Applied today at American Truck School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by HiramKingWilliams, Jun 10, 2020.

1. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Day 4 and week 1 is a wrap. I’ve got a fair amount of pre-trip down. Did my first in-cab today and it went very well. Also got to drive another 10-speed sleeper cab with dry-box trailer today. Overall I’m feeling pretty darn good about it all. I just want to restate that this school has some excellent instructors. BTW, they’re looking to add another instructor if you’re in the market for that type of gig.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Your doing great! Everyone of us had a day one, week one, start to our careers.

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  4. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Week 2 is off to a good start. Learned how to do off-set backing today. Drove both the 6-speed manual daycab with flatbed with synchronized transmission, and the 18-wheeler with sleeper cab with 10-speed non-synchronized transmission. Took the big guy on a short stretch of I-5, which was nowhere as scary as I thought it'd be. Also learned a little trick that helped with my downshifting. Worked more on pre-trip too. Things are starting to come together and make more sense.

Bumper Thanks this.
  5. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    • Pre-trip and a lot of driving the big rig today. Freeway, industrial area, and in the hills. In the hills was fun but dang my neck hurts from going left, right, left, right on the winding road and watching those mirrors. I'd hate to drive a rig in an area like that without a Jake Brake. Got my DMV test date today, right at the end of my 4th week of school, perfect.

Bumper Thanks this.
  6. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    More pre-trip today, walk-around and in-cab. More offset backing too. I’m getting there.

Bumper Thanks this.
  7. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    7 out of 8 hrs today spent inside in the class room doing logs, etc. Normally I would of been bummed being in the class all day, but it's been raining ash all day outside from a local wildfire.

rachi and Bumper Thank this.
  8. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Allways a fire burning somewhere in California.....

rachi Thanks this.
  9. HiramKingWilliams

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    3 weeks down, 1 week to go. Dialing in the parallel and alley dock. Got the offset and straight-line dialed in. Just about got the walk-around and in-cab dialed in. Next week will be fine-tuning for the exam.

Chinatown, Rugerfan and Bumper Thank this.
  10. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Give SST a look after school. They are a good foot in the door to hauling fuel.

HiramKingWilliams Thanks this.
  11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah, those friggin homeless are responsible some of the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.