Apply now, or after moving in a year?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by RoadSideDown, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I work for the mega Swift and basically it doesn't matter where you physically live. It is only the place they'll route you for your hometime, if that's where you want to take it. The terminal you are assigned to really doesn't matter much and switching terminals is very easy and simple. I've done it twice, only took a phone call each time. Since I've only worked for Swift, I have no idea how other companies handle it.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Swift has a refrigerated terminal in Dallas.

4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I think their main reefer terminal is in West Valley Utah (suburb of Salt Lake City), but maybe it's just the main reefer terminal for the West. Also have reefer terminal in Jurupa Valley California (SoCal, Inland empire). That's the one I'm assigned to. Good folks! Iive in AZ and Phoenix is my closest physical terminal. That's where I take hometime from (keep my car in the parking lot there when I'm in my truck). Also, for a few weeks I switched my "home terminal" to West Valley. I didn't care for the driver leader I got so after a couple weeks switched back. Also had I friend I met when we went to the Academy that was assigned to the Willows California terminal (Northern California) and a different one in Texas even though he's from Phoenix.

So, point being with Swift is, the assigned home terminal has alot of flexibility and isn't dependant on where you live or take hometime.

5. Scarecrow4180

Scarecrow4180 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2021
    Trap house
    Just tell them up front you will be moving that way they know you will only be at the location your at now temporarily that way they cant turn around and say something about you moving cuz they will know in advance

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If he tells them he's moving; he won't be hired.

7. Scarecrow4180

Apr 26, 2021
    Trap house
    I was hired i told the company i was in the process of moving from nc to fl they still hired me but of course im an otr driver so where i live dont really matter plus i technically live on my truck i really dont have a home just an address

8. Scarecrow4180

Apr 26, 2021
    Trap house
    The company i work for was even nice enough to give me a whole 10 days off after getting off my trainers truck so i could help my mom move her stuff from va to fl

9. Scarecrow4180

Apr 26, 2021
    Trap house
    This company i work for is awesome starting pay for new drivers is higher than the average the equipment is well taken care of and they will do whatever they can to help employees that are having problems cant argue at all ive only had my cdl since december and started out here at .43cpm

10. Scarecrow4180

Apr 26, 2021
    Trap house
    On that note i better get some sleep lol got a load i need to deliver gotta be on the road at 2am lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.