"Approved for Hire", but not really. Now I don't know what to do. Advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by keepemrollin, Oct 1, 2022.

1. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Personally, I would inform the current company that I have been fishing for more money and you got a company to bite. I would then ask them to make sure they give me a good report and include my recent safety award.

The expectation is that you are trying to keep on good terms with a company that has fed your family for how many years? You may need to go back to work there. Drivers come and go, none of us are special. Give your notice and ask for a good reference. That’s just common professional courtesy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They are required by the DOT to comply.

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    In my experience it has been about 50-50 ish. I have made requests via email and some just don’t have the time or think it’s spam - I guess. I have my record keeping done as a carrier and I am good. 2 attempts, move on

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go with @Dave_in_AZ advice. That's what I would do in your situation.

6. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018

Always tell the potential new boss about your driving history, its way better coming from you, than learning it from someone else.

7. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

As an employer, I'm completely honest when someone contacts me about employment history.
    So if me, it would be mentioned.
    That certainly doesn't mean they will not still hire you though.
    But be more careful.

8. MartinFromBC

Oct 19, 2018

Generally get a response, rarely don't.

9. keepemrollin

keepemrollin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Western Wisconsin
    I discussed this at length with my live-in girlfriend of 11 years, and she's of the same opinion, so this is what I'm going to do. The upside of the new job is too much to pass up, so I have to see this through. She's on board with the chance that I may be unemployed soon, but we're gonna go for it.

Thanks to everyone who read my enormous original post, and to all who gave advice. Monday I will be giving notice to my current boss, leveling with him, and asking for a good reference and a clean report, based on the advice of rch10007 above.

No risk, no reward. I will know more in a few weeks (i.e., whether this mess went anywhere) and I will give an update on whether I have a new job or not.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. See ya soon.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Even if the new job doesn't work out, you'll only be unemployed for a few hours. A hundred companies will jump at the chance to hire you.

11. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I’m a firm believer when it comes to business in general and truck driving is business, you keep all your options on the table for as long as you can. You never know when you might lose one of your options and need the other. You can pretty much fill in the blanks from there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.