"Approved for Hire", but not really. Now I don't know what to do. Advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by keepemrollin, Oct 1, 2022.

1. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Sound like you had a few minor incidents not accidents. There is a difference, put the two weeks in & don’t sweat it.

worst case you can cancel the notice & stay at the current job. Chances are your position won’t be filled yet anyway.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    Being a lead yard driver myself , all of our bumps and bruises were recorded , "IF" the driver fessed up.
    What site Manager did with the incident reports was beyond my pay rate regardless if it was on private property.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  5. keepemrollin

keepemrollin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Western Wisconsin
    Thanks for the job ad, Chinatown, but not necessary!

My current company responded yesterday with a request that we use their own in-house safety report form, so I figured they were getting serious.

This morning I informed the hiring manager at the new job that there may be something on that report and I wanted to get in front of it.

Turns out it was a waste of time, because my current employer reported only one accident, that occurred two years and three months ago. It was minor, non-DOT reportable, and not my fault, but they had to say it was because I was driving. The left door on a Werner trailer wasn't fastened correctly by the road driver who dropped it in the dock. It swung out and caught on the brick wall next to the dock, that was about 18 inches from the trailer, as I rolled it forward while looking at the truck in the dock on my right. I looked left just in time to see the door tilt and fall to the concrete, all five hinges had snapped like they were made of eggshells, and the door itself was fine. New rule was issued after that. "Always check that the doors are secure before pulling out of a dock", which still I don't think anyone does to this day, or at least not very often.

Anyway, the new employer originally said their policy was no accidents allowed in three years. Turns out the policy is actually no more than one preventable in one year, no DOT reportable in two years, so they don't expect perfection.

So I'm good to go! Just got the word from HR at the new job about a half hour ago, and I'm so excited and relieved I want to dance, or sing, or get drunk, or something. Still two hours to go at work today though, so no beer yet, and tomorrow will be my last day working here. I start at the new job on Wednesday, 6am, front office, see Sherry to get me started.

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I really appreciate it, and I'm on top of the world right now!

6. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Goodluck on the new job.

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Agreed here. I used to hire people on a regular bases and this would be no big deal. No one is gonna care unless it was a ticket and reported as insurance claims.

8. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Good deal glad you got the job.

9. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Sing, dance and get drunk.
    Then start your new job, driver.
    Congratulation.
    Be safe out there.

MartinFromBC and keepemrollin Thank this.
  10. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Very well written posts @keepemrollin.

Good luck with the new job.

11. keepemrollin

keepemrollin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Western Wisconsin
    And by the way, thanks for mentioning Nancy. I went to high school with her in the 80s. She was so hot, butter melted when she walked by, and she still looks good almost 40 years later. Zena jeans. Following her down the hall to history class. Pleasant. And my school had loooonnng halls, so it took a while. I think of her and her jeans every time I hear the name. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.