Are any Companies Not using Governors ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by BlueThunderr, Oct 1, 2018.

1. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    It really doesn't matter about governed or ungoverned trucks these days.. if you are going the speed limit, there are still idiots passing you.. the governed trucks are a problem in the construction zones and lower speed limit areas.. Everyone is in a hurry to go nowhere.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Only on Detroit’s if they haven’t taken it out of ecm ..

Intothesunset and 201 Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I just parked in Indianapolis at my customer. I get to the point to where I make a mental note of each truck that passes me. I kept wondering how many times this flatbed was going to stop..He passed me 4 times in the time it took to drove from Washington, PA to the Indiana state line. I will tell anybody all day, it's all about how long that truck stays moving forward.

5. FozzyNOK

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Those three trucks that passed me (traveling together obviously) passed me at a ridiculous speed... mentally, I think they actually think they are getting places faster that slow trucks.. at the end of the week... they just flat don't.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Right and they use the same amount of hours on their 70. I don't care what anybody says, the ELD tells more stories than people think. In the sense of getting from point A to point B, the playing field is leveled.

7. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    I think if your freight pays well and you can do at least the speed limit that would be good. I work for Fritolay and we are governed at 65 but we always run light so I get that good feeling of passing when going up hill.

8. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    How many of you guys saying ungoverned trucks don't get there faster are doing their observations during the day? Traffic plays a huge part in "getting there" faster. But just 1-2 mph faster can make a huge difference in light traffic.

In my old truck with Ozark it would touch 70 on the gps, even though it was "governed" at 68. I passed a company truck that I am friends with the driver coming out of Memphis going to Dallas at 10pm. Light traffic. As the night progressed traffic got lighter and lighter. 5 hours into our trip he calls me to ask me where I am, I read the mile marker, he's 8 miles behind me.

By the time we got to Dallas I had a 14 mile lead on him. That could easily be the difference in making it to a receiver on time or not, or making it today, or having to sleep at a truck stop and getting there in the morning. In fact, I was the only Ozark driver that could run Memphis to DFW without having to take a 30min break because I could make it in under 8hrs, nobody else could.

During the day I rarely got ahead of many trucks because I would inevitably get caught behind either a slow ### truck or slow ### 4 wheeler. But at night....when I could haul arse.....I could make good time. I notice some OO run at night and run HARD. There is a reason for that.

And I've driven 6 Ozark trucks in total. NONE could be overridden by stomping on the gas. I stomped it like crazy, nothing happens. They cut the nuts off these trucks, period.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  9. FozzyNOK

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Not really. you're citing one example.. there are more cars and trucks on the road in the daytime hours.. BUT most construction messes are worse at night. thats when they close the roads and ramps most of the time. There are too many variables for sure, but in general, the go fast crowd are only doing it so they can stop and goof off more.. they only think they are going faster. ONE stop or even two has just cratered any time ahead the driver had. We then could get into the wear, tear on the equipment and the drivers.. This question was posted by a new driver or even an almost driver. I think that was why more explaining was going on. There are times were night or day, two drivers will end up ahead or behind each other. Lots of varying factors.

10. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Construction sites are usually closed at night, or if they are open, there is little traffic to cause congestion.

I've never hit a night traffic backup longer than a mile. During the day I've hit 25 mile backups that took 5 hours to get through. At night, 15 minutes and you're gone.

11. FozzyNOK

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Don't go to OKC tonight then...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.