Are blending “plants” a legit thing?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by TheIncredibleBulk, Jan 20, 2024.

1. TheIncredibleBulk

TheIncredibleBulk Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2020
    MS/LA
    I’ve only had to go there enroute to a refinery drop if my gravity was off too much with the transmix/black diesel trash they load on me. Last load was at 30 and had to pump it back because they couldn’t get the load up to a sellable spec.
    yeah I’m learning so much about stuff I’m prob assumed to fain ignorance to it’s not even funny.
    Do other legit crude carriers like Plains, etc…have to do this or is the stuff yall come outta the field with up to a spec that doesn’t have to get blended?
    Dude that trained me that left for a better job yesterday told me they had to be careful where they sent some of these loads lest they get blackballed which I why I assumed they called off the 30 weight load.
    They other reason why I question these blending plants or maybe this one is because of the amount of paper in/paper out write ups that happen there with stuff that never even gets offloaded but goes straight to the refinery UNLESS they have to load something on top of the load to get it to spec.
    Maybe this is a normal thing I don’t know but it literally reminds me of how drug dealers add anything to a base drug to get it to weigh more without reducing the noticeable potency but increasing their volume/cost in the process without destroying their rep.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I've never heard of a blending plant; my employer controls their blend by controlling what they buy.

But I reckon a blending plant is like a SWD, they can be legit or they can be dirty, depending upon how they choose to do business.

If they're doing a bunch of "paper in/paper out write ups that happen there with stuff that never even gets offloaded" without adding anything to the load then that definitely sounds shady.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Some times the less you know about what's going on the better off you'll be.

5. LTLTRUCKDRIVER

LTLTRUCKDRIVER Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Sounds like when two trucks would off load at the same time with a Y fitting. One good the other trash.

TheIncredibleBulk Thanks this.
  6. 54international

54international Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2024
    I have heard stories where crude comes out of the ground and turns into fuel oil while swinging thru dispatch to get the paperwork and a weigh.

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    20240224_050513.jpg

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  9. 700milesforDetention

700milesforDetention Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2024
    I've delivered to a blending plant quite a few times. Not much of a clue what they actually do but they sure take a lot of different stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.