Are CB Radios still used to day?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Hammer, Aug 7, 2007.

1. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    definatly nt for a 12 yo. Every truck basicly has one but I truely feel that satalite radio has killed the cb. Now you have something else to listen to in that 800 miles out west where there is no radio stations. Plus many people are turnign them off because it's like listening in on a grade school playground

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chillwag

Chillwag Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Vancouver, Wa
    I put my C.B. in my closet at home. Since I drive a truck that will only do 65, the only thing it does is allow other drivers to abuse me. Not exactly happy with the language they use either.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

You mentioned 2 reasons why I don't use mine. When I was OTR I would go for days without turning it on.
    Now that I'm local I use it a bit more for communicating with the other guys and other trucks.

5. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    You do need a radio in the truck, but you don't necessarily have to keep it turned on. Sometimes you'll need it at docks for delivery assignments or WILL CALLS, and sometimes you'll need it at truck stops in case you're scaling out or getting juice. You can turn it on/up then. All other times you can keep it off.

I always kept my CB on channel 41. This channel was channel 40 with the power switch turned to the "off" position. If I would have kept my radio on all the time, I'd be in the nuthouse now. This is because listening to the idiotic crap on a CB will drive one batty in about five minutes.

hghtruck Thanks this.
  6. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    that's odd. I have one in my day cab and I NEVER turn it on. te one in my sleeper truck is on anytime I am in it

7. thetez

thetez Medium Load Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Hey Hammer, Just a word of advice, the hand held radio should be vertical.... as vertical as comfortably possible, so the antenna is as straight as possible, if it was on its side, that may be why you didnt hear anything.

8. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, Arkansas
    LOL...I found out that you guys have CBs the hard way, I had just started riding with hubby, and we got stopped in Oregon for speeding, and while he was behind us, somebody said "They got stopped because they didn't listen to the bear report" I said, without thinking "No, Nobody told us about the Stupid Pig" OOPS...Big mistake, he called Hubby out of the truck, then when hubby got back in the truck, he said, don't ever say that word again "THEY HAVE CB'S" ...OOPS...I didn't know that...LOL...luckly the cop was laughing as hard as hubby was. and he let us off with 5 miles over the limit ticket, when actually it was more like 20 over...LOL...I have never uttered that word again on the airwaves though...LOL
    :biggrin_2559::biggrin_2554:

9. Cosmic Bandito

Cosmic Bandito Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2007
    TN
    y'know.. as strange as it sounds,that may have been me asking that!!
    i do like the fact that DOT or 'full growns' are listening. in particular,one night on i-95 south,through nc,some night constrution was goin on,right line closed,starting at this point before the curve. a red audi,convertable,(nj tags) cuts me off and i mean from the inside.. speeding,of course. i slowed from the posted 45 to 25,the several workers out there were startled by the car.
    i grab the mic and start cursing at first,natrually. there were several drivers ahead of me so i explained the car to warn them whats coming. a few minutes later one driver shouts,'####,their goin about 90 they just passed me'- then there were a few others asking info about all this. i was assuming the construction worker had called this in too. me and the other driver explain the make and all that stuff.
    about 20 miles down the road,they were pulled over by a nc tropper. now im relieved they are off the road for a little bit,me and some other drivers laugh about it.. head on down the road back to normal. about 30 minutes out there goes the red car again,speeding down the hammer lane.. i key up to tell the other drivers the red car is back and wouldnt you know it,another nc trooper is at the front door. got'em again !!!
    i didnt see them for the rest of the night. heh. i guess they finally got the point. sorry i had to share it,like i said i do appreciate DOT listening.

10. MXH

MXH Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2006
    CB is a great idea for a car!!!!!!

Next time you get in a traffic jam, turn it on and ask "What lane is open?" But that's pretty much all it is good for.

That's all I use mine for.

Turn it on in Atlanta, and you will hear ever racial slur you can imagine, ever prostitute for sale you can imagine, and every drug for sale you can imagine!!!!!

11. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    I think the decline in the use of CB radio has to do with listening to satellite radio and trucks being governed

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.