Are CB radios still worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Don’t get me wrong, I use Google on my phone and stuff too. But personally I wouldn’t be comfortable relying on that 100%.

ncmickey, Lepton1 and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It’s good you mention it, so other drivers know what NOT to do. The solution is actually simple. Take the next safe exit. Google maps also already knows this problem, which is why it will automatically reroute you. No need to touch the phone, unless you want to cancel the reroute, which is just one click and federally legal. No more than one click, though.

It’s also very important you learn how to use Siri (on the iPhone) or the voice command on your Android or other smartphone. There is a whole lot that can be said about this, but luckily there are many YouTube videos that can teach you how to call numbers, open up apps, change routes, and many other commands right from your bluetooth. No need to touch the phone at all. Also, look into the tools that people with visual impairments use.

Long FLD and Swine hauler Thank this.
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Okay, I will ask the question.
    How does google maps or any of those other apps know there has been a pileup at mm 104?

PE_T and Swine hauler Thank this.
  5. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    And you're back around the corner at the103over5. Doing 60mph.

mustang190, starmac and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve gotten used to it. Hahaha. My display is 5.5 inches, and on my next smartphone upgrade this year, I’ll probably get a bigger one.

There is a way to transfer your smartphone screen to a TV or tablet. You can do it through an HDMI cable or wirelessly through “Screen Mirroring” which will work on a “smart TV” and also probably a tablet/iPad.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’m not “exactly” sure, but my guess is anyone actively using Google maps or Waze (owned by Google) agrees to share their GPS location along with speed and whatnot. In Waze, which I do not actively use, people can report just about anything from cops hiding to debris on the road.

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yesterday I was eastbound on I-10 approaching Lafayette, LA during "game day". I had my CB on, following a couple of local haulers. I didn't get into the conversation until I heard something about a big accident ahead on I-12.

I asked the local boys what the best route was around the accident. They told me to take 182 north and then 98 east to 354 south to catch I-10 after the accident.

It worked perfectly.

Without a CB I would have been stuck in over 30 minutes of traffic. I avoided that because of my CB.

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I never had any of that stuff, including even a gps, and for what I do now, it would be virtually useless, except for maybe running around town, looking for garage sales or something. lol
    I have never even felt the need and a cb along with a plain old flip phone always served me well.
    I guess I just never knew I needed that stuff, especially that that comes with a monthly bill. lol
    I did in later years of running otr, have a laptop in the truck with PC miler on it, that was handy, but mainly to check miles with.

Lepton1 and PE_T Thank this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’m not sure how often Google maps traffic alerts update. Maybe it’s every minute. What I do know is you must have data reception or it won’t work. That’s the reason why I say you want to have AT&T or Verizon to do this. If your phone is losing data reception throughout your route, then it won’t work well.

You don’t have to look at your phone constantly. I rarely look at it. I also have a Garmin GPS running, but honestly I don’t need any of these gadgets to get from point A to B as I’ve already done my trip plan beforehand, and know where I’m supposed to be going. I’ve been doing OTR for 6 years.

Lepton1 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I think we’re approaching the date when flip phones will no longer work. I remember my brother in law being all bent out of shape that he was going to have to get rid of his.

PE_T and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.