Are CB radios still worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Sep 15, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Mine does not work iin places that it used to now, or even in places that newer computer phones with verizon does.
    With that said I went to the verizon store to get a new phone, they had one flip phone to choose from, so I was going to get it, until the guy explained that for some reason, it will only work right here in town, or in the town of north pole, no place else. I then told him it is a shame he had a store full of stuff, but only one phone and it is a useless one. lol
    Yup, they are phasing us old guys out. lol

Long FLD and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I don’t worry about the extra monthly expense of having a smartphone or the highest unlimited plan from Verizon. I believe it easily pays itself for all it can do. It can do a lot, especially for business purposes.

4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    My AT&T bill is $156 a month for my phone and tablet. I don’t have a land line or cable tv or anything so I don’t mind the bill. The only subscription I have is YouTube Red. It gets rid of the ads in videos as well as when I’m using the YouTube music app.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    PE, I will be blunt and to the point.

You have common sense, you can think but most other drivers will not want to fall too far behind in making the 800 plus daily miles and will not stop or pull over to a rest area..

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    CB’s are a tool .
    If you’re the kind of driver that doesn’t feel the need to carry a basic set of tools or has any problem solving skills then no you don’t need a cb. your phone that you shouldn’t be playing with will work just fine.

Long FLD, PE_T and Swine hauler Thank this.
  7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I took mine out. I think that people should be helpful just automatically as a civil prerequisite and there were lots of helpful truckers on there. But the cruelty was more than i could stand and it wrecked my day more often than not.

I am happier without knowing how mean natured the people around me are under a cloak of anonymous.

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I remember one of my trainers would just get on the CB to rile people up and at the end of the conversation reveal that he was just fooling around. Hahaha.

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I am lucky now, we don't have the ignorance on them that there is down south. I would keep mine down there and just ignore the fools, and could never argue enough to the point that I would hear guys doing over a radio.

Lepton1 and PE_T Thank this.
  10. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Sorry @FoolsErrand . I screwed up that post of yours. Don't really know how to run this thing yet!lol

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.