Are Companies Really Looking for Drivers?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by hidden1, Jan 8, 2021.

1. hidden1

hidden1 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Hi China,
    Yeah, I've seen you throw them around some.
    Do you know much about them? Know anyone who's trained with them?
    -much appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson has a real good reputation and you can also run coast to coast if you want.

upload_2021-2-1_10-28-56.jpeg .[​IMG]

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Someone posted something about Wilson this week. Most of the school is hands on and driving vs. sitting in a classroom watching videos.
    ~
    If you meant Western Dairy Transport there is a recent graduate on here and he said the training is excellent and the meals served during school are also excellent.

hidden1 Thanks this.
  5. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Just got off the phone with Western Dairy.
    Because of Covid, they are not doing their driving academy. They might reopen this spring/summer if things get back to "normal."
    bummer.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I haven’t seen how much experience you have, but I’ll just assume you have never driven a tanker... excuse my assumptions if you in fact do have experience.

you’re not ready for a tanker if you’re straight out of school. No matter what anyone says.

How do I know this?

I’m straight out of school.... got hired to haul food grade in tanks. You know what? Hit a few steep grades up and down, constant on the up shift and downshift... throw some engine brake in there. Now add a little ice and snow, and narrow those roads a bit.

A tanker is not an easy drive, especially for someone just out of school.

This is all moot if you have experience, nevertheless, if you’re thinking “I can handle it”.... have an instructor take you through some hills with narrow roads in the winter, and sprinkle in small towns...

then tell me how “easy” it is..,

Mooseontheloose and hidden1 Thank this.
  7. Iowa80

Iowa80 Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    By the way, I admitted I wasn’t ready and they agreed. We parted ways.. no harm no foul. Great company, told me to come back when I had some experience.

8. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Hi Iowa,
    Yeah, I have no experience. I was hoping to begin my training as tanker, but I don't have a problem getting the experience driving reefer/van for a year or so before I can move on. Who knows...I might like either of those and stick with it. Preferably, I would like to sign on with a really good outfit and stay with them instead of job-hop, but from what I've seen in trucking that's a big exception to the rule. I was with my last school district for 21 years, so I prefer to stay put if possible.
    As time is getting closer to retirement this June, I'm trying to narrow down the best outfits for my training. Again, it seems like Wilson Logistics is the most favorable. Swift is down the road in Fontana, so if Wilson is a no-go I can consider them.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  9. Fooman

Fooman Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2008
    SW Indiana
    not sure of their status (covid) but might look at R.E. West out of Ashland City, TN

10. hidden1

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Dang!
    I just found out Swift requires a 26 month contract after training! :eek:

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contact Swift about their reefer division; maybe the contract is different. Use this website I posted.
    Swift Refrigerated | New Trainee Pay Package
    Swift Refrigerated – Sign On for the Trucking Career of a Lifetime with Swift Refrigerated
    Earn Your Permit and CDL With No Upfront Costs and Job Placement. Apply Now!

Start a New Career. Get Your Permit & CDL in as little as 4 weeks. Apply Now!

Job Placement · Permit Classes Included · Classes Start Weekly · No Employment Contracts

hidden1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.