Are Construction companies exempt? (Metro Detroit)

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by DETdriver, Apr 11, 2018.

1. DETdriver

DETdriver Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Does anyone know if constructions companies are exempt from ELOGs? Ever since the company I work for was forced into the ELOGs like everyone else, I keep getting wrote up for the dumbest things. Fat finger the keyboard and enter the wrong trailer number? It's a write up. Forget to change duty status and the computer does it for you? It's a write up. Forget to log on duty as fueling, it's a write up. Simple things like this that weren't a problem under paper logs that at the end of the shift I could fix, I'm now getting wrote up for.

The reason I'm asking about the construction industry is because if it's exempt, then I'll stop bumping docks and I'm looking for a construction company in the Metro Detroit area that's hiring. I've got 12 years of driving experience, I'm 37 and in fairly good shape so I should be able to keep up with the work.

When I got into the trucking industry 12 years ago it wasn't micromanaged like this. Also as I'm finding out from other drivers in the metro Detroit area, a lot of local companies in this area because of the insurance companies, now have those inward facing cameras and are using them to further write drivers up for other stupid stuff. If a similar situation is also occurring in the construction industry then it may be time to completely leave trucking altogether. I do have a degree and if this is what the federal government and insurance companies want to continue to do to this industry, I'm out. If I wanted to be micromanaged like this, I'd work in a factory.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fatmike02

fatmike02 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I live in pa and worked construction my whole life. I’m 42 years old. There has never been a requirement to keep any logs with day cabs that I know of. I know of no local company that uses logs of any.kind or cameras or any of that. I have had random DOT pull overs while I was pulling heavy equipment and had my last one a year ago. No such mention of logs. Just bs fines for little truck issues that the company gets. I now own my own truck but it’s a Triaxle dump. Just required to fill out the inspection book in the morning.
    Unless I’m reading your post wrong. I just woke up

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Most are exempt because they fall under the local exemption - 150 mile air rule.

We are not micromanaged, you may be at your company but the ELD isn't anything more than a different way of logging.

ZVar and brian991219 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.