Are DOT physicals becoming too hard to pass?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by dirtjersey, Mar 9, 2013.

1. dirtjersey

dirtjersey Light Load Member

I took my renewal DOT physical and I barely passed. I'm fat but not too fat, my blood pressure was just at the peak its allowed to be at before you are failed. I believe it was 140/90 which isn't too high.

SO I WANNA KNOW, WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE DOT PHYSICAL??

ARE THEY BEING TOO STRICT?
    WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    they're getting stricter. but what you passed at is the norm.

how fat are you???? weight wise?

my brother in law can only get a 1 year card because of his weight. i'm guessing. he doesn't know why but it's always been 1 year for him. he wasn't fat when he first started trucking though.

i have to stop smoking for a couple of hours before my BP will pass at 138/90. or have it done in the morning before i light that first one up. but my card has always been 2 years.

mje Thanks this.
  4. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    3 guys at my old job asked the exact same question.................(in like a 2 month period)

They are all FAT,(not just overweight) out of shape, and wished the D.O.T physical was "easier" ....

they all gave me an angry eye when I said I didn't see anything wrong with the D.O.T physical, and that I passed with flying colors.

mje Thanks this.
  5. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx
    All it is is a wake up call for drivers to change their lifestyle. There is no reason why drivers shouldnt look and be physically fit instead of some of the Lard ##### that plan their trips to stop at every Buffet on the hiway. I seriously wonder how some of the guys i see can more or less fit behind the wheel/ pass a physical. I,m no beauty but i'm no eyesore either. I weigh a wopping 153 lbs. and i'm 5'8". It took alot of changes to get my weight down but my energy level is off the hook. I have no worries about a physical and its nice to not be stereotyped by my customers.

CondoCruiser, stabob, mje and 4 others Thank this.
  6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The FMCSA standards havn't changed . The problem is the discretion of some doctors

volvodriver01, superpet39 and mje Thank this.
  7. dirtjersey

dirtjersey Light Load Member

Hmmm, I see where you are coming from, guys. I passed it, but barely. So I know many drivers are having a hardr time than I would.

mje Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Now that you mention it,they are becoming harder to pass.It could just be our age too.Now I take BP medicine,when I first started driving I passed the physical with flying colors.Now I get nervous.Just had a renewel taken 2 weeks ago,that was easy.But this place is very basic and not real into the nitpicking thing.

Marksteven and mje Thank this.
  9. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

Doesnt take much for a driver to get in a little better shape. Choose your snacks better, increase your water intake and get a 30 min. walk daily, believe me you will see and feel a difference.

superpet39 and mje Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    im far from heavy.Some say im too thin.My last physical after getting weighed,the nurse said I wish I was at that weight again.My problem is high bp.Not too high but high enough that requires medicine.

mje Thanks this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What is the highest acceptable blood pressure reading for a professional truck driver that does NOT require the use of blood pressure medicine?

Is it 140/90?? Please advise.

Thank you.

God bless you and your family! God bless the U.S.A.!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.