Are driving doubles/triples as terrifying as many make it?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by bentstrider83, Mar 16, 2021.

1. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Definitely not willing to do the P and D stuff. Seems like there's more eyes on you and it's a daytime thing. The physical labor I could adapt to, but then I could run across some complaint about "being too slow" on the dock and having to "pick up the pace".

As far as linehaul goes, it seems quite ideal. Would rather prefer driving nights forever than getting on any day shift. And just like my current regional milk hauling job, I prefer to stick to familiar routes and an area. Change of scenery was good for the first few years of trucking. But after too many accidents during those first years, I kind of PTSD'd myself into preferring more set routes instead of "irregular route (redacted) surprises".

So far, the current company has been good about keeping me running between NM and CO, or NM and KS two to three times a week. But the second they try to push me out farther and into some unknown area, I'm done. Some people like it. But I'd like to keep potentially career ending surprises to an absolute minimum.

mountains938 and snowlauncher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Screw em, what are they gonna do, kick you off the dock? I guarantee no LTL driver has been fired for not working fast enough on the dock. At least not in the last few years with how busy things have been.

4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Never actually worked on a dock before. I think I'm just confusing an LTL dock environment with the horrors I hear from any given Amazon warehouse. Based on how little I hear about people complaining about LTL docks and warehouses, I'm gonna guess those environments aren't as micromanagement brutal as the BezoLand.

5. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    Hey Mack. I think it has to do with the Wal-Mart driver that ran over that comedian in Jersey. I think a lot of companies are scared drivers will show up to work tired.

jmz, MACK E-6 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I don’t think it had anything to do with safety. I think it has everything to do with employee reliability and eventually retention.

The guy with a 90 mile commute is going to say “screw this” a lot faster than the guy with a 15 mile commute.

That’s assuming his commute never impacted his ability to start on time.

MACK E-6, BigBob410 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Yes and no, there is a level of micromanagement, but when it comes down to it, it’s all talk and no action. As long as you are loading correctly and not causing damage, they can’t touch you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.