Are HINO trucks reliable?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by AdnanNZ, Apr 15, 2007.

1. AdnanNZ

AdnanNZ Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I was told Renault and Iveco are not very reliable. I am now looking to buy a HINO truck. Are they as reliable as SCANIA or MERCEDES trucks?
    Any idea about their fuel consumption, is it as good as SCANIA?

Thanks in advance..:)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Stateside, they are only available in mid sized trucks, but the companies that use them seem to be happy with them. As for comparisons to Scania, not many of them here so there isn't much to compare with.

4. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    The 1st District Police Station in Philadelphia Pa has a Hino powered emergency generator. I used to service it and do all the repairs on it. It seemed to be a well built engine. It used some kind of inline injection pump that was a Japenese copy of an American Bosch APE pump like you would find on an older Mack, so I liked that. In fact one time the hand primer pump went bad and I swear an old Mack hand primer would have fit it. My injection parts supplier told me he thinks they are the same.

As far as being reliable it seemed pretty good. It has been down there since 96 and it hasn't had any major problems. But this is a 6 cylinder industrial engine in the 300 HP range and it is a mechanical engine , so I am not sure how this relates to a truck engine built in 2007.

5. AdnanNZ

AdnanNZ Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks for that, at my place, HINO just opned a show room for 410hp 40tonnes 6x4 trucks. Hino is owned by Toyota. The cabin looked very simple...something like a toyota pick up. The engine seems to me a bit bigger than needed, and i am worried it may consume more diesel. From your input and other two drivers I met...they all said good things about them. Unline Mercedes, they are not controlled by a computer (for fuel injuection and brakes..etc). I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

6. Cabcon

Cabcon Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2007
    I would venture to guess that Hino are a respectable brand. Hino are becoming popular as expediter trucks, they even come with sleepers.

7. juanveldez

juanveldez Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Iron Mountian MI
    Scania is a very popular truck here in Iraq, these guys are crazy in their loads that they put on these trucks and I have yet to see them broke down with the exception of a blown tire. and half the time you would swear that these guys think that they are driving roman chariots with the spinners that they have on their hubs. I will definatly have to try to remember to keep my camera out sometime so that I can get some pictures of these guys going down the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.