Are Penske's used Trucks any good?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by reddove, Jul 20, 2014.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Yep, find a truck that had a little customizing to it like fenders, chrome or fog lights added for an example. Then you know that it was an owner operator's truck and most likely well cared for. You buy a fleet truck you don't know who drove it from Grinding Gary to Curbing Charlie to Ricky Racer. :)

That's unless you find that Ryder truck from a guy I use to work with that wasted about $700 putting chicken lights and chrome all over a Columbia. He even raised the low beams up so he could see better, lol. Now that truck was a lease truck. Stay away from it!

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reddove

reddove Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    There is a Arrow used truck sales on Converse Texas just outside of San Antonio. There is also a FL, Pete, and Kenworth dealerships within one exit away from each other on I-10, When I get home I'll check them out. I definitely want to stay away from fleet trucks from personal experience of how "well" they fix them.

4. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4143501]Hi reddove, I have that deja' vu feeling again. This comes up a lot, and I always say the same thing. Stay away from large fleet trucks. There are so many nice trucks from private owners that are getting out of it, you can get someone's baby for the same money, and a full history, to boot. I had several of my own trucks, and took a lot of pride in them, and I know, the people I sold them to, got a darn nice truck.( like my Pete below) I'm sure there are adequate Penske trucks, and it would be easier to walk in, pick one out, and go trucking, but I'd take a little extra time, pick up a truck paper, and check a few out, and talk with the owners.[/QUOTE]
    I agree, I've always shied from fleet run trucks it's not that I don't think they do maintenance, but there's some good small time operators like myself that appreciate the iron we own and take extra care of it, I've bought a few of those trucks and they have served me well. Just my opinion but I would think you could find something reliable and dependable in the $25-$30 range that's generally what I spend with very good results. I've never allowed distance to stand in the way of a good deal, don't limit yourself. Last truck was a 2300mile drive home, lots of time to get a feel for the truck and find any bugs that might need to be addressed.

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Reddove a little warning.
    Not all O/O take care off their trucks.
    Some are just lazy and some have no sense.
    I have known guys who couldn't make their payment on their truck but still added chrome to it.
    And while mega carriers might not have a perfect maintenance program they are for the most punctual.

As allways ,on any truck you decide to buy,do your homework.
    Oilsample might not be a bad idea.

And pls don't be fooled by shiny,chromed trucks.
    It is the oldest trick to sell any vehicle..........

reddove and FLATBED Thank this.
  6. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    Could a oil flush alter a sample? I've seen a few "Chromed out" Trucks for $39,000 and wondered why.

7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Now CC, let's leave Gary, Charlie, and Ricky out of this. They had to learn somewhere.:biggrin_2559:

8. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I have bought over a dozen trucks in my driving career. There is no one type / kind / make / style / truck to buy, and no special place to purchase one.. You have to look around, ask questions, verify information, and THINK.
    Last truck was a F/Liner Penske traded in. One of the best trucks ( so far as making a profit ) I have ever owned.
    I noticed several dealer lots here in Florida had some Penske trades, so started looking. All were spec'ed alike, some were cleaner than others. I found one that had a few 'extras' on it. Drivers first name had been placed on door, air hose to clean interior, better mirrors,nicer seat, up-graded sound system, etc. I figured a GOOD driver had driven this one, and was rewarded by the company that leased the trucks for his taking good care of the truck. Bought it, and I later found out I was right. This had been the senior driver's truck, and had been very well maintained. I got a good one from Penske.

andre, reddove and Mooose Thank this.
  9. reddove

Jan 6, 2013
    San antonio, Texas
    I noticed on the maintence records of these Penske trucks they always changed the fuel injectors and do the full PM right before they sell them...Hmmm..,

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I didn't realize they were ugly! Maybe I had too much to drink and staring at my new tattoo from Holland. The red light girls in Hamburg looked much better.

Mooose Thanks this.
  11. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    I'm a used truck watcher. I watch prices, inventory, what sells, what hangs around. I look at a lot of adds and keep doing it for some reason. I've never bought a new truck and probably won't ever. I've also never bought a fleet truck like you are discussing here because of specs. I have bought a lot of trucks, and will probably do so again, so I keep watching. I just replaced my 99 379 with an 04 FLD12064SD from an OO who lost his gas hauling contract and needed out fast. Right place right time. Pete was sold quick to a guy who had one of his roll over and heard about mine through the grapevine: right place and time for him too. When you buy a used truck you are taking a gamble, and it happens to be the same gamble you take if you buy from a small fleet or an OO, or a big fleet. You bet on your hunch and see if it pays off. I'm not sure what evidence you actually have to base a judgement on maintenance quality between these big outfits, and like someone said above, does "OO" mean a super maintenance/repair program automatically? Do those very ugly orange trucks make you more money than those very detailed white ones? They all have the same Detroit, and mostly the same rears and tranny. Both Penske and Ryder are asking steeper prices than they were a few years back, SNI is lower in price by a little. Before placing your bet, do a lot of homework!

TruckinJay and Mooose Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.