Are Rookies taught how to use a clutch brake anymore?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel_weasel, Jul 7, 2011.

1. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    T-RIX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EddieSC

EddieSC Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    #dons his flame suit as well

I actually agree with ya, Quick. The only time I down shift to stop is if I haven't hit the high range of my gears yet. If I have, I'll coast up, then grab 3rd or fourth once I hit the right speed, complete my stop, then put it in gear to take off. If the light changes, throw it in the appropriate gear and go!

My issue is that it's not like a 4-wheeler tranny with the synchro. The gears all have to be turning the same speed to grab the gear, so the stopping power that I hear being preached about just isn't there imho. All it's doing is throwing something else into the mix to take your focus off of what it needs to be on: the traffic!

quickway Thanks this.
  4. quickway

quickway Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    I hope you have the heavy duty flame suit eddie. The robots are going to come out and say you just don't know any better. They will say things like you have NO control of the vehicle and will wreck your truck....one of the most asinine things I've ever heard.

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    It's alot like holding a cell phone up to your ear while driving.

99.9% of the time.....No Problem.

It's that .1% that gets ya !!!!!

Injun Thanks this.
  6. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    So, thinking people who have considerably more experience than you and who disagree with you are "robots"? That sounds like the kind of thing that somebody with no real argument, but only insults, would say.

Either that, or a wheel-holder.

:biggrin_255:

7. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Or a yellow belly dumocrat! :biggrin_25525:

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2009
    texas
    I thought i was real cool when i started driving,, then my dad, a forty year guy, heard me grind trying to take off, he came over took me out of the truck and dressed me down to an inch of ego... I have never forgot that and still kid him about it.. he told me his dad ate on him for similar stupid things when he first started....

9. quickway

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    I'm done with it guy.

10. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.

And especially preaching misinformation to new drivers trying to learn the proper way to downshift in other threads is just wrong.

If it were just about what you do you'd just tell us. You wouldn't feel the need to argue with a group of many drivers who know your methods are questionable at best and try to get us to do it your way.

How is it that people born in a democracy are unable to realize when they are in a tiny minority they are most likely incorrect or misinformed? How is it they don't realize this is especially true if they are amongst a group of professionals in the same profession?

11. quickway

Feb 1, 2011
    louisville ky
    Did the majority think the world was flat at some point? And no....I'm not trying to "get" people to drive like me. Really I couldn't care how you or anyone else drives so long as no one is hurt or killed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.