Are small cars harder to control on ice?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by a-trucker123, Jan 18, 2018.

1. a-trucker123

a-trucker123 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Whenever I go to warmer states where they happen to get some snow and ice on the roads during winter, everyone suddenly turns from a hormonally charged teen to an overly-cautious old person. Even when my total gross weight is around 75,000 lbs, I have to gently pass sooooo many little cars. Visibility and lighting isn’t even an issue and it is not even rush hour traffic. Are they so freaked out over ice and snow? Or is it harder to drive little cars in snow and ice? It is very, very frustrating driving alongside little cars during wintertime.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    You overestimate the grip summer tires have on snow and ice. The cars are typically set up for the typical conditions they see there and so they likely have much less grip than you do. Or you're actually going too fast for conditions. It could be either one.

4. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I haven’t found any car that handles ice well..

Now snow that is a different story, Audi Quattro all day long.

DTP, Lepton1 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    If you want to handle ice well you need studded tires. Snow is mostly up to the tires. I've never had in issue with my FWD cars with good snows on.

Lepton1, Tall Mike and tinytim Thank this.
  6. Tall Mike

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I ran all seasons in the winter on my A6 and S4.
    They did remarkably well in upstate NY winters.
    Always wanted to try Blizacks or however you spell it ! Never tried studs.

7. Tall Mike

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    One of the best cars in the snow I ever owned was a FWD Ford Taurus SHO.
    Not quite AWD good, but very solid.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I've always liked Blizaks, but I broke the bank to get the highest rated Nokian Hakkapalitas for my new car and so far so good. The all seasons that came on it are worthless in snow. Though growing up in the north east I know how to handle it I'd rather not be driving on the edge all the time.

Hammer166 and Tall Mike Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The deal with the south is the rapid changes of temperature during winter months. Ice, snow, water on the highways, then it warms enough to thaw. Now the road is wet, then comes the quick freeze and the road is black ice that you can't see.
    Look at the tags on the cars that have spun out and in the ditch; lots of yankee plates on those cars because the drivers aren't use to black ice. One time I counted 11 cars in the ditch with Illinois tags.
    Sometimes black ice is so clear you can't see it. That's very common in southern states.

10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Currently running Dunlop winters on my B5 S4, they are OK. With ice I can accelerate np, just stopping and turning is problematic. I can almost drive on the snow like I would normally on dry pavement. I'm going to replace them with the Blizzak WS-80's for next season.

And yes smaller wheelbase cars can be tricky even on slightly moist pavement, but I think a lot of it has to do with the people freaking out. I was on 77S in Ohio last week for their snow/ice storm and people were literally driving 15 mph on completely clear, dry, salt and sanded pavement. Whats worse is when they get in a long line and just WILL NOT PASS the person in front.

SplashDogs, a-trucker123 and Tall Mike Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not good to go out on any ice. Even Armored tanks have to slide on ice. You Tube Marine tanks with German tanks exercise in Norway where they did sliding drifting with main battle tanks on ice. 70 tons sideways around the rink there.

I generally say if you can walk on it you can drive on it generally with a loaded semi. I actually prefer to be in a semi heavy on ice.

I can handle ice with one of our cars provided the speed is about 24 or so to provide traction for the AA traction and Nitrogen premium tires on it. We do not skimp on car tires. It's like a thousand dollars for a set and good for several winters. 30 would be our max speed on dirty ice. She will handle 2% on slush a foot deep and that's about all you will get out of it. (US 67, McCain Blvd SB at the traffic light on top of the hill there.)

Certain rules go out the window on ice, you don't do stop signs, stop lights etc where possible. If no one is around. Espeicaly on a hill.

You do not take a car next to a tractor trailer on ice because the very slope to one side or the other will induce a jackknife and crush your car especially on bridges.

It is best absolutely in a car to stay home. However.

The older cars of say a 302 ford maverick with 135/70/14 tires were very good in snow due to it's weight being on the rear axle. The Torino had top notch Michelins at 225/60/15 which were equal to that of the State Police and were able to handle 2 feet of wet snow on I70 several times due to it's hard tread compound.

Front wheels are pretty good, but not the be all end all. My Tahoe is actually very bad in snow and ice right now because it does not have the right tires for that work. Here in Arkansas we are sort of in the Bayou land, meaning clay and mudder more than ice and snow. With the set I have on there now, it will get stuck in a heartbeat so I don't take it out into snow and ice. It's a 4x4 but means nothing with bad tires. Tread is like 5/16 and it will take a little more than a thousand to fit new tires to it.

I occasionally order chains online for ice purposes from Austria. It will be about time to get a set for next winter. Throw that onto the car for added beef.

With a semi loaded on ice, the word is be gentle with the cars. Absolutely gentle and EASY with them you can slip and mash them so easily.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.