Are small cars harder to control on ice?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by a-trucker123, Jan 18, 2018.

1. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Yeah I got stuck twice on hills, one time I spun out 3 times on the interstate and ended up facing the wrong direction, that car was a disaster in winter weather no matter how careful you were. I’d load up the trunk and backseat with weight, didn’t help lol. Loved that car except during the winter

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SplashDogs

SplashDogs Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2017
    They’re lots of fun every other time of year! ..Just difficult work with them in the snow. They weren’t designed for it. It’s easier to keep them somewhere safe over winter. It will keep the car & the owner a lot happier that way lol ;-)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    DTP Thanks this.
  4. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    Actually the first year I bought the Camaro, I took it out occasionally over the winter. I figured I’m a pretty experienced driver in the snow/ice and didn’t think I’d have to many issues. I was super interested to see how it would handle. I did the same thing as you, loaded up the back with weight and then I put some excellent tires on it and off I went.. I learned I definitely prefer my truck for winter driving! :-D ;-)

5. captjimmy

captjimmy Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Florida
    I second that. Had a ‘97.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Funny...my mom drove her '05 Mustang to & from work every day year 'round for 9 years before trading it in on a minivan. That was in the chicago 'burbs...never missed a day of work due to the weather, never wrecked it, never got it stuck. Got a friend with a '90 Mustang that isn't even close to stock, and he gets around just fine, too...rain, snow, ice, and everything in between.

Just because YOU couldn't handle it, doesn't mean it can't be handled...only shows you don't have the necessary control to handle your business.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  7. SplashDogs

Nov 29, 2017
    It’s not necessarily the fact that it can’t be handled. If that’s your only option for commuting then so be it. You will have to learn how to properly handle your vehicle in that type of weather. It can certainly be done and there isn’t necessarily anything wrong with it.

If somebody has the choice between a sports car and a awd vehicle, I would recommend a awd vehicle (just in my own personal opinion, obviously). I can say that there were times with my Camaro that my area would get 2 or more feet of snow in one day and just trying to get the Camaro out of the driveway was a chore. My area typically doesn’t plow until after the storm is done and I’m working with a very low vehicle ..You can see where some of the headache can come in.

You’re Mom & friend both sound like great drivers. Coming from the perspective of a plow truck driver, I can say that I appreciate this. I see a lot of people get in over there heads when it comes to winter driving.. they venture out into the storm not fully prepared for what they are heading into lol.. ;-)

8. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Another one of you people, awesome there tough guy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.