Are snow cables any good?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Oct 21, 2017.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I've used chains but never cables. From what I've heard they're not as effective. Right about now I'm wishing I had bought a set of three-rail chains as chain law is up on Eisenhower this morning.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Never "hung iron" in my life, ( except on my garden tractor) but I knew a guy that ran cables, ran west, and he swore by them. He said he could easily get 35-40 mph on snowy roads ( nothing works on ice) They went on fast, and could take them off easily. Chains, maybe 20-25 tops and they are a hassle.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  4. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    I've run 45mph+ with chains. KEEP THEM TIGHT. I have three railers for every axle. They go on a lot faster and easier.

not4hire and QuietStorm Thank this.
  5. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Once you have them on, roll from one end of the chain-up area to the other, stop and re-tighten everything. I would do about 40mph if possible and they were doing just fine.

not4hire and QuietStorm Thank this.
  6. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    That is what most people don't do. They don't stop to retighten them after they start rolling. They are going to loosen back up as soon as you start moving after you put them on, no matter how tight you think you had them the first time.

PE_T, longbedGTs and QuietStorm Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Cables? Ugh.

Loose, tighten, loose, tighten, loose tighten.

Time sink. I lean towards chain. That way if something becomes too much they simply break.

Toomanybikes and QuietStorm Thank this.
  8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    iv done a lot of chaining. mostly offroad in the oil feilds. 3 rail chains were the only way to go. i wouldn't personally buy a set of cables. in my experience with chains even single chains are worthless. but again my chaining experience is not nessisairly typical conditions.

in my experiance if you cant make it barefoot 3 railers are are the only thing that will get you threw.

so my vote would be 3 railers are the only thing worth having. but take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

9. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    This. Once you start spinning,singles and cables are useless. To only "downside" to three railers is that they're a little heavier. I've actually used tire chains to tow out stuck vehicles and even had to use them with binders on a flatbed load one time. Try doing that with cables.

10. Hoofbeats

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    They've also gotten me out of the mud.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Oh snap! Never considered using chains for load securement. Great idea, but are they rated for breaking strength? If they are, then I will definitely use them on a problem load that needs to be contained.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.