Are there ANY ELD's that have a "HOS EXEMPT" duty status option?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Accidental Trucker, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    This is not the way it is being done. The milk haulers ELD shows a line straight across line #1(Off Duty) until the 150 air mile radius is reached. Then the driver logs in, does his pre-trip, enters the information and off he goes to the dairy. Then upon the return trips, the reverse happens. Now, hear me, I am not debating the "legality" all I am doing here is putting on the table is what actually is going on.

Oh, I know several drivers who have been stopped and the trooper says, "have a good day".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So how can they put a line across line 1 if they are not logged in?

On the ELD, they log in, go to Exemptions, change it to Agriculture, then go to On Duty.

Note the 11/14/70 clocks do not move and the word Exemption will show. As long as they stay in the 150 mile Radius the 11/14/70 will not move. Once they exit the 150 mile Radius, they take it out of Agriculture Exemption, and then go to On Duty. Now the 11/14/70 clocks will run. Once they enter back into the 150 mile Radius, they change back to Agriculture Exemption and then back to On Duty. Exemption will appear again and the 11/14/70 clocks will stop again..

Even though they show On Duty under the Agriculture Exemption, the time spend on Line 4 is not counted.

4. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Grouch, thanks for the assist. The rules obviously change faster than I can keep up with.

Going back to the original issue (US - Canada compatibility), it occurs to me that a similar situation occurs with PC movements. There is no defined limit to PC moves in the US, but there is a rather short distance limit in Canada. Our driver, in the past, has used PC from home to the farm, about 60 miles. This is over the Canadian limit, and would therefore start his clock earlier under Canadian rule. In our case he always takes 10 before he crosses the border, but I can see how this PC movement could create a similar problem as the ag exemption.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    If your driver is actually using PC to "move the load forward"/"advance to the next load", then I agree. But then, that isn't PC and it will only be a matter of time until it bites you. However, if the driver is truly PC (not under dispatch), and is simply driving from his home to the farm to start work and get loaded, then it is not a problem in Canada. The fact that the U.S. mileage exceeds what would be allowed in Canada is irrelevant, just the same as the fact that driving hours in Canada exceed those in the U.S.

This is different than your problem with the 150 mile exemption because under the 150 mile exemption the driver IS working (so for Canada those hours must be recorded). Under PC the driver is not working.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  6. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    As a frequent cross-border driver I would use the differences in HOS to my best advantage. A simple example is the difference in rest hours.

In both countries the required daily rest is 10 hours, but in Canada we only have to do 8 hours consecutively and the remaining 2 hours can be spread out during the day in segments as little as 30 minutes. So, being in the U.S., but knowing I am going to cross the border I could take my 30 minute rest as required by U.S. HOS, but it will count as part of my daily rest once I cross the border. Or doing the 8 hour portion of a U.S. split-sleeper, but then using the deferral in Canada and getting home a day early because of the extra driving hours.

7. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It would seem that this could be addressed by a (simple ;)) programming change. When switching to Canadian HOS, the program just accounts for the Line 3 & 4 hours (even though those hours are not displayed in the U.S they can be saved to memory). You said the driver should be logged in from the start, even within the 150 miles, and the ELD knows when the truck is moving. So it shouldn't be too difficult of an issue to address.

8. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    When a driver logs out, he is off duty. Until he logs himself back in the ELD keeps him "off duty". I tried it the other day, I logged myself out, drove 150 miles and the ELD kept me on the top line.

9. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    "They log in from the origin"---- This contradicts this"When operating within the 150 air-mile radius the driver should not log into the ELD. Upon exiting that radius, the driver should then log into the ELD

10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    But what good is running the ELD in exemption mode if you are not logged in.. Another fine point that needs clarifying.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  11. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Omnitracs is the eld with ag exempt on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.