Are there any good OTR companies out there? "Really"

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by billsgirl, Dec 18, 2008.

1. wyldhogg

wyldhogg Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Orleans, VT
    Look for a company that pays practical miles versus household mover guide miles, practical is closer to what you actually drive, like was said very few pay hub miles.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. damonarnold816

damonarnold816 Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    United States
    Not Interstate Distributors out of Tacoma, Washington

4. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    No, there is not.

Cody1984 Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Not worth bragging about anyway.Trucking is trucking and all about money.

bigjoel Thanks this.
  6. davenjeip

davenjeip Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Port Charlotte, Fl
    That is an excellent point that many drivers do not get.

I used to cover a driver's dedicated run one day a week. We took different routes from point A to B, but always got paid the same miles running our company trucks. His route was about 20 miles shorter than the way I went, but due to the hills and the lower speed limits running through small towns it took about 30 minutes longer. We'd argue about which route was better and he never could understand why I preferred the way I went. He felt that he was beating the system by running less miles, and never could understand why all I cared about was the amount of time it took.

Guardian 91 Thanks this.
  7. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I'd rather run 100 Interstate miles than 70 miles on a US Highway through small towns.

8. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Many just pay trip percentage, discarding the mileage debate altogether (And debatable whether or not percentage rates is preferable, that would depend on the company and income transparency).

I agree with the duty status, even other traveling occupations such as with the airlines or construction, they are still not required to "babysit" the equipment or load for free. That considered makes the pay rates look just that much worse.

9. damonarnold816

damonarnold816 Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    United States
    zentrucking, I completely agree, there is always a sense of urgency for the driver that is ignored by the nards in the office, we are limited by the day and week on our hours and when a driver does EVERYTHING to be as productive and efficient as they can be each day but the load info is wrong, or equipment issues a few times a week, or customers running behind, it all works against you, and when a company doesn't compensate you for the loss, but touts themselves as being about their drivers, it's bogus and just marketing tactics.

10. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Back in my freshmen year of college, a group of us took on this summer job.... we had gone to a summer jobs job fair and at this one booth they got us hook line and sinker on "the perfect summer" for college students.. make as much as we want, work when we want, and so on...

So we sign up and go to the orientaion training. Lass that Monday... there were 5 us, one walked out at lunch and never came back, another quit 3 days in...

Us remaining 3 stuck it out... we all were with the same company and had the same opportunity to make money... but, Cliff was the rock star.. his weekly check was bigger than mine and the other guys combined.. now, true he worked harder than us, and didnt spend as much time swimming and playing as much as we did...

The company was cutco... we sold knifves and stuff... I managed to make a small paycheck each week... but. Cliff raked the money in...

It wasnt that cliff was smarter or anything... he just figured out the way to do it..

Trucking is the same way... you have to figure out how to make the most money at the company you are with... which for pretty much all companies is to get as many miles as you can legally and safely when your 14 hour clock is ticking..

davenjeip Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That depends on the area. I personally would rather run through southern MD on US-301, than run through northern VA on 95.

loose_leafs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.