Are there any reputable Flatbed companies offering company sponsored training???

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Johnnb, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Johnnb

Johnnb Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Steve:

I applied last month and I used the same application that I used with all the companies that I applied with. So far Schneider National, Watkins and Shepard, Crete and Prime want to hire me. I am inexperienced, never drove a truck before and for the most part worked most of my life pushing pencils for a living. I worked in real estate for a year, tried it and found that there is no money to be made there. I tried hard, worked seven days a week, 15 hours a day and still ended up making $0 money. It is a really tough business and in order to be successful in it, you need to put in at least 3 good years of hard work.
    Now 3 years is a long time for me and I don't have the capital to back it up. Besides the NY real estate market is extremely competitive. There are so many bigger more successful companies with seasoned real estate agents who know the market, have great connections and make good money. However, that means making money on a whim, which definitely is not for me. I don't like to play the lottery with my life. I like to expect to be paid for the hard work I put into my job.
    So to make a long story short, the recruiter for Maverick did not want to speak to me because I could not provide a W4 form indicating how much money I made which (verifies my employment) in real estate. What's the point??? I didn't make any money? I spent a lot of money! But I made 1 or 2 stupid studio rentals, which amounted to $100 each because I was in training. 75% of my money went to my brokers because they were providing me with the tools to market my services. Am I supposed to claim $200.00 as my income for an entire year of wasted work??? I worked for a company, my broker can vouch for me, heck my co-workers can vouch for me also. What more does this recruiter need? Crete and Schneider National took 3 weeks to screen my application, asked me countless questions, and they still want to hire me, but I don't have the $5K for the truck driver training. So that job is out the window. Schneider is easy, all they want is my CDL permit. Once I get that I am in, but on the other hand, I have heard so many horror stories about them. The only ones that are tooting their horns are drivers who have had ten or more years with them, but how does the great company explain why they have a huge turnover rate? Don't tell me it has to do with people who had no idea how the industry works? Because that is only a small part of it. I am sure it had to do with the promises of miles and good pay. Promises that were not kept according to many ex-pumpkin drivers.
    I like Maverick, I think they are an excellent company because they provide you with the work. I see that they expect a worker, a runner to be exact. I am a workaholic. I hail from a family that is rooted in the work ethic. I know I will do well there. I am not afraid of hard work, besides I see that the company has an excellent reputation. For me that is more important than the money. Reputation, excellence, and worker satisfaction are very important ideals for me especially if I am going to sacrifice many hours each day for a company. Steve, if you can provide me with some advice I will appreciate it. This week I will take my CDL permit exam. Right now Prime, Schneider National and some other companies are trying to get me on board. I want to work, but I want to work for a good company. A good start is better than starting out with nothing. Thanks again.

John

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daytona45

daytona45 <strong>"Student of Misdirection"</strong>

May 19, 2007
    north little rock
    Hey Steve Got a question for you I am off to school at ASU on the 13th august I have been talking to the maverick recruiter and he told me to submit an application one week before I start school.My question is how long does it actually take to get hired on?I live in north little rock just a stone throw away from maverick. Also do they try to steer you into the specialized side because I don't think I really want to haul glass.seems kind of dangerous and doesn't sound like those guys get home much. I understand these things take time but I cant go to long without a paycheck

4. daytona45

daytona45 <strong>"Student of Misdirection"</strong>

May 19, 2007
    north little rock
    Thanks Steve that helped a ton will sleep better now that I have an idea of what to expect.I appreciate all the info and am looking forward to getting started.:iroc:

5. CaptRon

CaptRon Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2007
    America

I am waiting to get the call from Maverick because I am in the Houston area and they have a waiting list here. I too was in Real Estate and I had to go back and find my tax info.
    You can always go to office max or dept and get a self employment kit and make out a 1099 self employment form.
    Maverick is worth the wait. I want dedicated but I will take OTR if I need to to get my foot in the door. I may even look into IC if it gets me onboard.
    Good Luck, I hope you can get everything together to get accepted at Maverick. Oh by the way, I am not a recruiter, just a guy who is sold on a good company. My recruiter is Shay, maybe she can help you.
    CaptRon

6. Johnnb

Johnnb Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Hello everyone:

Sorry for not responding so soon, my internet server was down for a few days. I had problems with the router and had to purchase a new one. So I re-applied with Maverick and recieved a phone call from them telling me that I was offered a conditional offer of employment with Maverick Specialized because they work out of New York. Now they are going to the customary route of making phone calls to verify employment. I was really happy when I got that call. They accepted the real estate employment time and so for so good. They told me to call in from time to time to check my status. My recruiter's name is Ben and he is a nice guy to work with. I was told that I will get approx. 2500 miles a week at 37 cpm. I am not familiar with pay scales but if anyone can fill me in on that info. it would be great.
    They asked me about home time and personally I can be out for longer periods of time so I am not worried about that. The only problem I have now is that my parents went away for a month, and I am running his office while he is away. He was recently diagnosed with heart disease and had two operations this past month. His doctor recommended that he take some time off work to relax for a little while. So now he is in Florida with his brother and family. I hope Maverick does not mind if I have to work for a month before starting with them? That is my only concern right now.
    Also the person who called me from Maverick asked me if I have any questions for her about the job. Can anyone provide me with some questions to ask? This is not like a teaching or real estate position. I would have had plenty of questions for them because of experience. I just want any questions I can use that they will accept. Anyway, thanks for all of the information and telling me to hold out. Finally!!! I got accepted by an excellent company with a great reputation. I had also applied with TMC, but they gave me the run around. I guess they want more experience, but I am really happy about Maverick though. I hope all will work out this summer so I can start working. I will let everyone know what happens next. Thanks again.

John

7. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas

37cpm is better than what I started at running otr skateboard. I started at 32.5cpm. Usually didn't get 2500 a week starting out either so it sounds like you are going in a good direction there.

Be careful with that month wait. They may think you're trying to give them the run around. I understand you have to do what you have to do, but they may not see it the same way. Then again, it may take almost a month for your background check and all the paperwork to go through. I've never delt with Maverick so I couldn't tell ya. I live fairly close to the NLR Arkansas terminal, and they have a ton of trucks waiting for drivers and more new ones than that waiting at the Freightliner dealer down the road. About 60% of that Barloworld lot is new Maverick trucks. :biggrin_25519:

8. Johnnb

Johnnb Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Hello:

Thanks for all of the advice. I was told that I will recieve notification from Maverick very soon. My biggest concern is the month wait that I have to endure because my parents just upped and left because of his heart problems. I have to sit and wait, run his office, cook for my siblings et. et. Mind you I am not getting paid for this. Funny how I get a great opportunity from a company that is awesome and this happens!
    I mentioned 2500 miles at 37 cpm, they also give you bonuses after you do 6 months and again at 1 year. The benefits are good too and I am happy for the opportunity. Hopefully I can make good money this year and pocket it away to hopefully purchase my own truck some day. I want to stay away from leasing because of the aggravation associated with it. Personally, if all goes well with Maverick I would like to stay on with them in their Mack IV division or work as a recruiter or fleet manager. Well that is just a thought, I have to get a year in then I will know what I am going to do. Again thanks again and I will let you all know what happens next.

John[/FONT:biggrin_25519:

9. stevedb28

stevedb28 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2007
    dont worry about the wait. I had to wait 3 months to get in due to the waiting list to get into Maverick. They will be fine with it because Maverick will still be there in a month lol. One question I can think of you may want to ask recruiter is which division they are assigning you to. I didnt know which one they put me in until I got there, thank goodness though that it was U.S. and I got the weekends at home. If you find out which division and when you are going to Little Rock let me know. The only thing that was answered incorrectly by my recruiter was "is there internet access available at Maverick" they answered yes I think so, real answer, not a snowballs chance. Maverick is soo concerned with security, they wont provide their drivers with a little bandwidth. I personally think the more concerned you are about security, the bigger the target is on your back, meaning, the more you try to block from people, the more they want to hack into it for the challenge of hacking it, not saying Im into all of that, I just know their mentality because I was once very computer savy back in the c++ days ( high school).
    Anyway, its hard for me to think up questions because Im with Maverick now. I might be able to answer some question for you though. BTW I got 2200 miles this week, lol Im thinking of putting my miles every week into my blog. Take care

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

They don't have a ton of trucks waiting on drivers. I was just @ the NLR yard this week and they were flying a couple of students out to get their trucks. The trucks that you see in the lot by the yard are for sale. I know they look good and new, but mav runs mostly new trucks. They get rid of the trucks to keep a new fleet. Their motto is if we have empty trucks sitting it is not time to filll seats like most companies. It is time to get rid of some trucks. They run a tight ship. They will not cut their hiring standards to fill a empty truck.

11. bigorangefan9999

bigorangefan9999 Light Load Member

May 27, 2007
    I start school Monday with Maverick at ASU and have been assigned to the US division. Anyone have any good input or helpfully info. Plus does anyone know if there is a waiting list for a trainer if you attend their sponsored CDL training?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.