Are there companies where I don't have to live with a trainer?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by newenglandtruckin, Jul 4, 2016.

1. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    You know, everyone has the idea that their chosen profession is toughest. I really don't care about your little boating adventures. They really have no bearing on conversation here at The TRUCKERS Report. The point of this thread was whether guys need trained to drive a truck. The answer is yes. This isn't a boat. And whether a boat is harder doesn't change that. And while I've not driven in Milan or Paris, I have driven in Berlin and Frankfurt. Many times. And I have driven in every single major city in the U.S.A. except for San Diego and Bangor. I've also driven almost every mountain pass, the ones on interstates and US highways anyway, in every season of the year. You most certainly need a good trainer to guide you through as you learn the ropes in this industry.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    You are a rare exception my friend! Many don't not make it alright. Many die or kill other people from not getting proper training. Or do huge amounts of damage even if nobody dies.

4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I'll also stand by my comment that as far as trucking goes...you don't know enough to know you don't know enough. If you are a driver and have been for any length of time, you'd know how important training is. I'm not saying this job is harder that any other, but it is something you shouldn't just be thrown into.

5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    You can never have too much training. If you're truly cut out for the job though little training is needed. It's not a job where you're going to have someone holding your hand all the time. If you think you 'need' weeks or months with a trainer you're a square peg trying to fit into a round hole.

As for the OP's question, the only one I've heard of that doesn't send people out with a trainer is Watkins Shepard. That could have changed though.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I agree with that tinytim. There is a lot to be said for being the right fit for the job. I shouldn't take months of training, as the government is trying to propose. But there are many things you just can't know till you've seen or been talked through it. Being right for the job helps you understand it quicker when you do see it. I've had the gamut as far as trainees...from the guy who couldnt grasp the concept that the top of the map was north, to the guy who seemed to already know pretty much everything, but also knew what questions to ask and when. I didn't think that guy needed to be with me a week.

7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    And Tommy, nothing you described there is likely to hurt anyone but you, unless you are piloting a passenger craft. Our job can hurt many people quickly no matter what we are actually driving. Vast numbers more people are killed or injured on our hiways than are killed or injured in boats. And it is a trend that needs worked on. Better training is required. Not just for truck drivers, but for anyone driving anything. Too many people are hurt or killed for this to be taken lightly. Too many people drive too fast for conditions. Too many people think a speed limit sign is a mere suggestion. Too many people can't properly use a merge ramp. And too many people die from silly mistakes, that both they do, and people around them do. Training, training, training is the only way to start to fix that.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Not sure if training will help. The simple fact is that is people would follow the most basic rules of driving - proper following distance, adjusting for conditions and actually paying attention- the number of crashes would be a small fraction of what it is. Apply the 'broken windows' philosophy to traffic enforcement and things will take care of themselves.

These basics of driving are known by all but without them being enforced human nature takes over.

tommymonza and MrEd Thank this.
  9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I am all for mandatory retesting every 2 years once you are over the age of 60.

Drives me crazy down here in Florida the way people do not know how to accelerate and merge into traffic on the highway from the on ramp.

Left lane is for passing only . If you ride in it you get a ticket.

On ramps need those little rollers that accelerate the car like I had on my Match box cars track when I was a kid.

Lepton1 and tucker Thank this.
  10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida

A situation may not hurt people depending if there are no other smaller craft that could be affected.
    But there is far more skill required and a grasp of your current conditions and how they could affect the handling of the vessel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Blackthorn_(WLB-391)

Once again you either Got It or you don't .

Companies these days are trying to drive a lot Square Pegs into Round holes with their training programs these days.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.