Are we as drivers fools?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by RogerThat72, Mar 13, 2019.

1. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I want you to think about how company drivers are compensated. Now, we sit in a truck 24 hours a day. But, we’re not compensated for it.

correct me if I’m wrong, but the top of the industry for a company driver pays $11.12 per hour for all hours spent in the truck on a 5 day work week. Minus 28 days pto so 337 days a year or 89,938. Is it worth it?

When will we as drivers see how much were being taken advantage of?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Never. We've been doing this for over 100 years and still have not figured it out.
    So, never

Tombstone69 and LGarrison Thank this.
  4. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    The sad thing is, that’s a walmart salary. So there’s guys out there making far far far less for their time. I’m not saying you can’t make a good living because I got everything I wanted out of this industry. House, cars, vacations, everything. But is it really worth your time?

Stay safe drivers.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I know people who work in consulting that spend as much time on the road as I do.

I also know people that work for Epic, Amazon, etc that put in 80 hours a week at the office, not counting commute times.

Don't get me started on the hours that lower level associates put in at a law firm.

"But Roger - they get paid more!!!!" Not as much as you think. Median pay the first 5 years is under $100k. Considering they shelled out $120,000 for the law degree, have to spend A LOT more on work clothes, professional development, etc the difference isn't that great.

It all comes down to - "do i get paid a fair wage for the work?" and "is there something else I want/can do to earn more for the same or less work?".

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    NEVER.

Youve been gipped since 1934 when laws specifically excluded trucking from overtime and other industry standards of labor and then imposed twice the working hours weekly.

We are still stupid enough to accept .32 a mile after 40 years of same. Come on now. What does that make the drivers. That's roight. DUM DUM collectively.

In 2001 the two of us put in 306 service days, full 24 hours in the truck at least 130 miles from home as logged. We both grossed together 67K that's 34K each give or take pretax. That's 7300 hours in that stupid truck clucking over either dispatchers or loads that are late from solos. For each of us our wages that year in 2001 came out to right about 4.34 EACH per hour.

PPPPFFFFTTTHHH.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I know people who work a lot harder than I do for what can tell anyway not much more. I also know people who work less and make more. I know a guy who's working the same job hes had since he was literally 12 or 13, he's only making about 20 an hour last I heard. Be less concerned with it being "fair" and worry more about it being enough, life's not fair and the sooner you realize that the easier your life will be.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of my relatives was a Marine from Korea, a officer to boot. All squared away.

What does he do when he came home from Chosin? Open a eating place. He worked everything in the place, dishes, seafood, meats, food gathering, billing, invoicing, etc etc etc.

Without fail 6 am up down and clearing the public toilets. That was my very first job. 6:02 I am in a bowl somewhere with soap and bucket. Degrading. But it's 6 am and time to get the place ready to open,. that takes a couple of hours.

To this day I find myself preparing for a 6 am start. Even though I am a night owl. I actually will be rolling at 5 in a few hours.

The best thing to do is stay motivated and hit it. Make sure no matter what in life whatever time you have in the day when it's quiet and all the meemies have gone away that is your time. Use it wisely. For yourself. Ultimately that is all you are going to ever have in this cursed world.

9. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Find a local job and get paid by the hour.
    Problem solved.

jmz Thanks this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You wouldn't like "dirt work". Your time doesn't start until the first bucket of dirt/sand/gravel/asphalt hits your trailer. The time spent getting to the jobsite is on you even if it's 75 mi away !. I won't tell you about after you sign out at days end (75 mi from home) and the drive back is on you as well. Feel sorry for container drivers at the port, they sit for hrs in a mile long line waiting to grab their load...…(without pay) Trucking is all about lifestyle. If you want big $$$, be a Doctor ! Me personally, I prefer my shiny long nose Pete and those twin stacks and that diesel purring down the interstate as I sit there in charge of my destiny. You know I'm right !!!!

Lite bug and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    We get paid to sleep...sounds like a great recruitment talking point.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.