Are we crazy? Need advice about going back to OTR and a good company

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by His_Navigator, Jan 16, 2015.

1. jugs

jugs Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    louisville, ky
    duh...of course, unless you want to live out of a truck, earn less money ...and ...it never stops. here you get to go home, yes , maybe for 8 to 10 hrs, but hey ..it's home.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jugs

jugs Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    louisville, ky
    p.s , getting on there ,i.e shuttle, hopefully...I will NEVER live out of a truck again(have not in more than 3 years ), thank you for this post, you were like a sign from God. Be well, stay at home.Tell him to go out there for a while, that will surely cure him..

4. jugs

jugs Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    louisville, ky
    mils ....:biggrin_2551:lol...get your head out of that dark,smelly space.

5. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada

It was was she who said she wanted to retrain because she has been off the road for 30 years.

My advice like be to ignore the nay-sayers here. I was constantly being told by truck drivers that I would happier at home (where women belong, I guess) would hate the road, wouldn't be able to adjust to all the rules, and on and on... My own parents were very unsupportive because I have a university degree and they didn't realize the income potential of driving.

I nearly doubled my office job salary my first year on the road and only needed 1 job to support myself instead of a full time job plus being a part time Reservist in be forces to pay my bills and live a decent life.

I stuck out my first (relatively) crappy job and got on with a better company after 2 years and nearly doubled my salary again. I made more than 3 times my "home every night office job" salary that I needed a university degree for.

I trained my (now) wife to drive and we've been teaming for 2 years and earned just over $100k our first year and switched companies are set to earn $160k this year. (Will be 1 year in June, but we we right on track)

When some a-hole at the fuel island tells us that he thinks we're too pretty to do this job, and that we'd be happier at home (living pay cheque to pay cheque, driving a beat up old hoopty-hoop and wishing we could afford to go out to dinner AND pay rent this month) I have to bite my tongue and usually coldly reply "I don't remember asking you what you thought about anything."

A team of drivers used well earns well over double what a single driver can. Our single drivers are maxed out around .45/mile where we earn .60 and they can only log a little under 4000 in a fantastic week, where our fantastic week is more like 7500 mi.

I hate to cry foul, but there are plenty of young guys joining up here and wanting to go out on the road and I have never seen so many people jump all over them telling them they should just stay home with heir kids and enjoy their life because it's so miserable out here.

Find a company with a yard close to you and ask lots of questions. Teams are in demand, so you have a lot of power in this negotiation.

Also let us know how it works out!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.