Are wood chips considered a no-touch load?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TechD, Jul 14, 2018.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Backing up portable dump ramps at night in the rain with inadequate lighting. Hauling off chippers in the woods. You get the drift. Hope you like snow. Lol
    105k gvw. I would try for something else than wood products. It went in the toilet. Just don't tell local I'm from sf. Anyway, you'll be fine. Just run it cool and pay attention. Good day.

TechD Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Uhm, no, actually I don't. I didn't think (hope) that part of Oregon got much snow. :(

It was just an idea.

4. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I very briefly considered looking into milk... Well, until I read about how much is sucks.
    Yards full of peeing and pooping cows tend to stink a bit.

Tillamook Creamery is looking for local, raw milk haulers, but they don't say anything about hiring no-experience drivers.

Too bad. They have nice looking equipment and I like the idea of living near the coast.

5. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Heck in a few weeks you'll be eating your lunch in the milk palor. You would be surprised what you can get numb too. Any tanks you'll drag hoses. You are from the city lol. Stick with chips. Prolly start out around 18/hr? You going to like Orygun, guaranteed and good luck.

TechD Thanks this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    You may need to load your own trailer. With a loader. I used to load from a overhead bin very slowly at Potlatch lumber.

TechD Thanks this.
  7. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    I just got back from a 3 week road trip through the PNW and into Eastern Washington State; sleeping in and living out of, my little camper-van the whole way. It was great! I want to do it again right now!

I fell in love with Oregon the moment I saw it, and I knew I wanted to move there.
    Then again, I was there in June - July / Roadwork Season, so who knows how I'd feel about it the rest of the year?

I read somewhere that Oregon has Four seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter & Roadwork. :p

It may sound cheesy, and I know I comparing it to the Bay Area, but everyone was so darn friendly!
    I also really liked and appreciated the professional, curious and safe way people drive out there.
    At least the ones I saw. Not so much the people pulling travel-trailers.

8. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    If the chips are green and been on trailer too long in very cold temps they will freeze and no amount of shaking or vibration will bust them loose. That is why theres a pitchfork on the headache rack of chip haulers in my area. I have had to break loose a third of a load. I hauled chips briefly while looking for a job many years ago and it has not changed. We have a very busy fleet of chip wagons.

okiedokie and TechD Thank this.
  9. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    2 words Hog fuel. Not many mills on the right side of the mountains so running the hill during the winters isn't a thing anymore. Good ol Useless & Reckless. Ah the memories of spinning out creating mayhem & discontent.

10. TechD

TechD Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Huh? o_O

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Cows don't stink too bad, now hogs on the other hand they stink real bad almost as bad as Billy goats.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.